Chapter 9 - A literal fucking animal

"Fucking hit him, Finn." The ringmaster yells to Cass's youngest brother. She was sent down to keep an eye on Arthur, like she does most days, but has ended up watching Finn and Isiah train instead. "You call yourself a Shelby? Fucking hit him." The ringmaster then says, causing Cass's anger to grow. "Watch your mouth, Fredrick." Cass warns, making the man step back for a moment having forgotten that the Shelby woman was there.

Everyone's thoughts are put on hold as there is a loud, angry scream bouncing around the room. "Arthur!" Cass yells when she sees him beating a young man who's body is already limp. "Get him off!" One of the men shouts as he enters Arthur's ring. It takes 3 men to pull Arthur away, making Cass incredibly nervous. She slowly walks over to the man who's laying bloodied and unconscious. She searches for a pulse, which she can't find at all. "Fuck." She whispers to herself before standing up.

"Finn, Isiah, get dressed and go to the offices. Tommy's there. Tell him what happened and say I said to send Scudboat down to sort it out." Cass orders her brother and his friend, who immediately run to the changing rooms. "Fredrick, I'm so sorry about my brother." She then says to the ringmaster, who is holding Arthur up as his brain shuts down. "This is the fourth time this month, Miss Shelby. It's bad for business." Fredrick replies, making Cass sigh with annoyance. "I know. I'll fix it." She says, pulling Arthur away to a quiet corner of the room.

"You've got to calm down, Arthur. Look at me." She whispers, holding her brother's head in her hands. "There's so much to work for, and you doing this is not helping any of us. Now we have to start a fund for his family. Tommy's going to want your head on a spike if you can't gain control over yourself." She then says sternly, making her oldest brother nod. "Now, get dressed and go home. I'll sort everything out." She orders, pushing Arthur towards the changing rooms. What a fucking mess.

~

"Where is he?" Tommy asks Cass as she enters his office. Her eyes rake over Finn who looks partly upset but mostly embarrassed. What the fuck did Tommy say to him? "He went home. He needs some space." Cass replies. Tommy just nods in reply.

"I'm sorry, Tommy. Arthur been blowing up." Finn then says, practically pleading for forgiveness. "It's alright, Finn. It's not your fault." Cass says kindly, moving over to him and brushing some hair off his forehead. "He's both of your responsibilities. You should have been watching him." Tommy says sternly, making Cass angry. "What the fuck did you just say? Our responsibility? Is that a fucking joke?" She says, crossing her arms over her chest. "No, it's not a joke, Cass. I sent you there to watch over him, and now a boy is dead. He wasn't even 20." Tommy replies. "I'm not Arthur's keeper. If you want to keep an eye on him then that's your job, and don't you dare tell Finn that he made a mistake." Cass argues, stepping closer to him.

Tommy glares at his sister in silence for a minute. "You can go, Finn." He then says lowly, prompting their youngest brother to literally run out of the room. "Cass-" Tommy starts. "Don't you fucking dare. That boy is 14 years old. He doesn't deserve that sort of pressure from you. From anyone for that matter. I will take full responsibility for what happened, but you need to set Arthur straight. He'll only listen to you." Cass interrupts, almost yelling. "Fine." Tommy bites back before storming out of his office. "Wow, Tommy, really fucking mature." Cass shouts through the betting shop, ignoring the looks she receives from the workers.

~

"Cass, sit down." Polly says to her niece who has been pacing angrily for almost an hour. "I can't Pol. Did you hear what he fucking said to Arthur?" Cass replies, waving her hands towards the space as if Tommy was there. "I know, love. But it's just the way Tommy is. Arthur will get better. Tommy's just using tough love." Polly explains, trying to calm Cassie down. "He's using fucking something." Cass spits back, instantly regretting it.

"I'm going to bed. This is too much to think about." Cass then states, making her way to the door. "Tommy told me about Mr Solomons." Polly says, stopping her niece in her tracks. "Is that why you're so irritable lately?" Polly then asks, making Cass sigh. "I don't know." She replies simply before leaving the room. There's no way she in the mood to talk about this right now, especially with Polly who probably has a smug outlook on things.

She plops onto her bed, her mind filled with questions. Not only about Alfie, or Arthur, but about what the fuck Tommy's playing at. First, he tried to stop her from talking to Alfie. He was clearly upset about the whole thing, and maybe she should have acted more professional, but she couldn't help it. She had been looking for him for almost 3 years. Second, he expects her to follow Arthur around as if she doesn't have her own life to live. Arthur is more than capable of looking after himself, and if he gets himself into trouble it's his own fault. It's the same with any of her siblings. They would be expected to take the consequences of their actions, so why can't he? Why does Cass have to take the fall for him?

Somehow in all of the busyness of her mind, Cass manages to fall asleep. Her dreams are empty, just like her heart is beginning to feel. Maybe the loneliness is too much for her as well, not that she would ever admit that.