Chapter 11 - Stale shock

Since Cass has returned home, her and Polly have returned to their unspoken tradition of spending the morning together every Sunday. Polly reads the paper, or her tarot cards, and Cass just enjoys the quiet. And Polly's bacon sandwiches, of course. They've done this ever since either of them can remember. Cass thinks it started around the time John was born. Their mother used to take the baby out to the market every Sunday, meaning a young Cassie could take a break from her brother's constant crying.

However, today's relaxation time is cut short due to Ada stomping down the stairs. "And where have you been?" Polly asks expectantly, not looking up from her newspaper. "In bed." Ada retorts, sighing when she realises that's not enough information for her aunt and her sister. "Well, I couldn't sleep, then I couldn't wake up, then I needed a wee, then I was with bear on a boat but that was just a dream, then I was too hot, and then I came down to be greeted with an interrogation." Ada says, not even taking breaths in between.

Cass watches her sister grab something to eat, pushing the jam over in confusion when Ada gestures for it. Ada's never liked jam. Polly notices this as well, and they both just stare at her as she heaps a very large teaspoon of jam onto her bread. Halfway through her third bite, Ada notices that she's being watched. "What?" she says nervously. "Stand up." Polly says in reply.

Ada sighs, drops her food onto the plate and stands, her face clearly showing the boredom she's feeling. "Face the side." Cass says with a nod of her head, raking her eyes over her sister's body. All of a sudden the room is filled with a half-playful shriek from Ada as Polly anxiously grabs her tit.

"Ada, how late are you?" Polly asks seriously. "A week." Ada replies, which is clearly a lie. "5 weeks." She then says, knowing that neither of them are going to believe them. "7 if you count weekends. I thought it was a lack of iron, so I got some tablets." She then sighs, sitting back down. "They didn't work, did they?" Cass says, never once taking her eyes off her sister. All Ada can do is shake her head in reply. She's pregnant.

~

"Well, are you?" Cass says as Ada leaves the doctor's. "Yeah." Ada whispers shakily, lighting a cigarette. All Cass can do is sigh and she looks up at the stars, resting her hands on her hips. "I know a woman, she can-" Polly starts, only to be cut off. "I'm not getting rid of it, Pol." Ada says sternly, leading her sister and aunt down the street. "What about the father, Ada? He has to know. And you have to understand what's going to happen to you if you have this baby on your own." Cass says, grabbing her sister's arm and pulling her to a stop.

"Whose is it?" Polly asks sternly, changing the subject slightly. Ada shakes her head defiantly. "They'll cut him to pieces. I can't tell you. You'll tell Tommy and he'll kill him." Ada then says, knowing it's futile to start and argument. "Not if he marries you, he won't. I'll make sure of it." Polly replies. "Will he marry you?" Cass then asks as Ada starts to cry. "I don't know. I don't know where he is." Ada replies, taking another drag of her cigarette. It's at this point that Cass feels like there's a bomb underneath them and that she needs to tread carefully.

"Jesus Christ, Ada." Polly starts to scold. "He's just gone away for a bit. He promised he'd come back." Ada defends. "They all say that." Cass murmurs, only just loud enough for the others to hear. "He's not like that, Cass. He's a good man. He promised." Ada says, continuing to cry. Polly pulls her into a hug. "He will come back, Aunt Pol, I know he will." Ada sobs into their aunt's shoulder. "Come on, let's get out of the cold." Cass then says, pulling them both away from the prying eyes in the middle of the street. Why couldn't Ada have just been careful like Cassie had asked her to?