Chapter 15 - Bosses and their rules

"Right." Tommy says to the room now filled with men, Cassie, and Alfie. "You've all now been employed as bakers in the Aerated Bread Company of Camden Town." He then says, pacing back and forth in front of the group. "If anyone asks, that's what you do. You're bakers." Cass adds, sounding as powerful as her brother. "The coppers in Camden Town are on our side, but if you go north or south you'll have to show them that piece of paper." She then says, gesturing to the new work order in the men's hands.

"Tell them you've come from up north to find work. Or break strikes. Tell then you're bloody fascists if you have to." Alfie says, his voice bouncing off every surface. "We're finding lodgings for you but, for now, you'll be staying here." Tommy says, waving his hand around the facility. "It'd be best to not touch any of the bread, though. It's most likely to explode." Cass adds with a smirk, making Alfie chuckle. "Any questions?" Tommy then asks the room, prompting one man to come forward.

"Yeah, I have one." He says lowly. "Go ahead." Tommy says. "When will we get a dance off the pretty lady? Maybe she could put on a show for us." The man then says with a smirk as he rakes his eyes over Cass, laughing with some of the other men. Cass chuckles, stepping towards him with evil eyes. He immediately stops as Alfie and Tommy come to stand behind her. She gets even closer to him, keeping her hands on her waist. "It will be nicer to let them deal with you, since your wife and daughters might miss you." She whispers into his ear before pulling back with a menacing smile and moving to stand behind the boys.

Alfie immediately steps forwards to stand directly in front of the man. He stands there with a glare for a moment before raising his hand and snacking it across his face, making him fall to the floor. What Cass didn't realise, was that Alfie was holding a cane. The man groans as he sits up, spitting out blood and teeth mixed with saliva. "Anyone else?" Alfie barks into the room, prompting all of the men to shake their heads in fear.

"Right then, I think it's time we go over the rules." Tommy says, bringing everyone back to attention. "Good idea. There are fucking rules for a fucking reason, yeah? Rules are to be followed. So, rule number one. The distinction between bread and rum is not discussed." Alfie starts, making sure to look each and every man in the eyes. "Rule number two. Anything, right, that your superior officer says to you, or any of your other fucking superior officers say to you, yeah? Not discussed!" He continues, practically screaming by this point. "Rule number three, four, five, six, seven, whatever you fucking want I don't care, right?. If anyone moves, or looks, or talks, or fucking breathes in her direction, they'll end up worse than him." He then says in a darker tone, pointing between Cass and the man who is still trying to recover on the floor. "Oh, and Jewish women are off limits." He adds before taking a step back.

"I think that's fair." Tommy says. "Fucking right it is." Alfie agrees as he glares towards Billy Kitchen, who shows no signs of fear. Cass watches as Alfie then slowly turns around to face her and her brother. "Forgive me, Tommy, I interrupted you." He says before moving to stand in between them. "Pick him up." Tommy says sternly, nodding his head towards the man on the floor. Three men immediately crouch and lift him to his feet. Tommy then strides over to Billy and whispers something to him. "Don't fucking wait! You're meant to be fucking soldiers!" Billy then shouts to the group, prompting them all to scurry off to work in a hurry.

"You alright, love?" Alfie asks Cass once the room has been cleared, putting both of his hands on the sides of her face. "Yeah, I'm good." She replies with a smile. "Good." He whispers before placing a kiss on her forehead. "Right, we should get going, Cass." Tommy says, breaking their moment. "Do you really think Ada's going to want me there?" His sister retorts with an unimpressed look. Tommy stares at her for a moment before sighing. "Fine. I'll be back in an hour." He says before leaving the room. "Come on, love. Let's have a drink, yeah?" Alfie says to her, taking her hand in his and pulling her towards his office.

~

"I'll call you when I can." Cass says sadly, hugging Alfie tightly as they say goodbye. "I know, love. It's only two weeks." Alfie replies, returning the embrace. "Only." Cass repeats with a small chuckle. Alfie pulls away from the hug but keeps his hold on her. "I love you." He whispers. "I love you, too." She replies before softly placing her lips on his. "I'll see you soon." Alfie then says, letting go of her waist and pushing her towards her brother's car. Cass nods before climbing in and waving to him as Tommy drives away.

"So, you alright?" Tommy asks after a few minutes of silence. "Yeah. How've you been?" Cass says, hoping they won't argue about the time she spent away from them. "Good, yeah. Business has been good, and Polly and Michael have been getting on like a house on fire. She's even teaching him to drive." Tommy replies, never taking his eyes off the road. "That's good then." She says before leaving them in another silence.

"How's things with Alfie?" Tommy asks abruptly, obviously unsure whether he wants to hear her answer. "Really good. He's so lovely." Cass replies with a wide smile. Tommy has to double take for a moment. He hasn't seen Cass smile like that in a very long time. "Good, I'm glad. I just hope he knows that my threat still stands." Tommy then says with a smirk. "Believe me, he knows." Cass retorts with a laugh.

The pair spend the rest of the journey catching up. It's nice for Cass to see Tommy so at ease. Their relationship has definitely has it's bad points in the past 3 and a half years, so it's nice for them to act like nothing has changed. Cass knows it will only last for the car ride, but it's worth it to see Tommy acting like his old self.