Chapter 16

"He didn't finish his food yet again, huh ?! He has not been eating properly since few days. This may harm his health ", Jason shook his head in defeat. "What's going on with him these days? He is not his true self ", Daniel asked puzzled. I looked up from my plate, feeling a hard gaze, to see Jason staring at me. He shook his head and said, " He is being his stupid self. That's  what ", he replied to Daniel, throwing his hands up in irritation.

"Could you please go give Adrian dinner, Ry?" Jason asked, hopeful. "Huh?! Me? Why?", I asked startled, pointing to myself in confusion. "Yes please. He's not listening to me. I'm hoping he'll at least listen to you ", he replied.

"I can go give him," Daniel suggested, rising from his chair.

"Not you, doofus", Jason said as he yanked Daniel back into his seat. I looked at Angela in question but she just shrugged in response.

"All right, I'm going," I said, taking Adrian's dinner with me. 

I deliberately took my time getting to Adrian's room, hoping to avoid having to face Adrian after such a long time. I hesitantly knocked on Adrian's door, one hand balancing dinner. "Go away, Jase," Adrian yelled from the other side of the door. "Its me, Emery. I brought you dinner", I responded in low voice. He didn't say anything for nearly a minute. Contemplating whether I should leave him alone, I turned around ready to leave.

"Hey, love," Adrian said softly after answering the door, looking at me in amazement.

"Hi," I replied, trying not to look him in the eyes. "Please come in," Adrian said.

I entered the room slowly, glancing around. After placing the dinner on the table, I turned around feeling tingles on my back. I was faced with Adrian's chest. He was gazing warmly at me and smiling softly. Upon realising our close contact, I moved little farther. His gaze saddened and said, "Thank you. You didn't have to", he smiled, gazing at me with wonder in his eyes.

"It's fine, Jase is concerned that you haven't been taking care of yourself," I replied. I started to notice his appearance for the first time in months. He looks as if he hasn't been sleeping for a long time. Even though he appeared exhausted and his hair was stuck around as if he had run his hand through it several times, my heart skipped a beat and our bond flared between us as I stayed near him. I averted my gaze from him, yelling to myself in my head to stay away from him for my sanity. He sighed softly.

"I miss you, love. So damn much. You've been avoiding me, and I can't take this anymore ", he said, his voice breaking.

Hearing the sadness in his voice broke my heart. "And whose fault is that?" I retorted angrily, pushing my hands behind my back to avoid reaching for his hair to pull it away from his eyes. I have been itching to comfort him, run my fingers through his hair and to stay in his arms but I know I can't. "Take care and good night," I said quietly as I forced myself to leave.

I reached for the doorknob to exit the room, but was yanked back onto a warm chest.  I let out a small sigh of relief at the contact. Sparks began to fly everywhere we touched. It felt great to be back in my soulmate's arms after such a long time. The tingles from the contact made me want to forget everything and just stay that way, but I forced myself to pull away. I slowly put my hands on his chest to push him and break free from his grip, but I was frozen by his next words. "I'm sorry," he said softly, breaking the long silence. "I know I pushed you away but I am doing this for a reason. Believe me please. I will explain everything to you in a short time. I know I don't have the right to ask you but please trust me. Please do not push me away", he continued, tightening his hold on me.

I wanted to break down crying at that moment. My heart wants to believe him and give us a chance, but I'm afraid he'll break my already broken heart. "You've got to be kidding me right now! What is the reason we can't be together right now? If it's for some stupid reason, believe me when I say I'm going to punch you so hard you won't be able to feel your face for a week", I screamed angrily, breaking free from his grip. I wanted to continue yelling at him for the raging feelings he caused within me.

"What about Rebecca? How can you say all of that while gallivanting around with Rebecca? Is Rebecca the reason we can't be together? Do you love her?  You can't have both of us ", I continued, stepping back from him and sat down on the bed huffing angrily.

"What?! No. I am not dating her. She is part of the mission that I can't tell you about. There is nothing between us. She is a warrior from my kingdom. You can ask Jase if you want. I would never cheat on you", he said, his voice full of honesty.

I sat there stunned. I was convinced Rebecca and Adrian were together, so hearing him say they weren't was a huge relief. That made my heart feel lighter. "Ofcourse, Jason knows. He is Adrian's cousin. He might have told him that we are soulmates. That explains Jason's strange behaviour and his ridiculous reasons for always bringing Adrian and I together. I should have realised that sooner. What a moron I was!!!" I thought to myself.

"Please say something," Adrian begged, his voice full of hope. He sat on his bed beside me and took my hand in his.

"I want to believe you, more than anything in the whole world. Being with you is the dream I didn't realize that I have been building since I first saw you. Please tell me the reason. We are soulmates. We are equals. We are supposed to share things. We will figure it out together. How can I trust you if you don't trust me with your secret?!", I inquired crying softly.