Chapter 22

As I woke up the next morning, the warmth of Adrian's embrace enveloped me like a comforting cocoon. His arms were wrapped securely around me, and the steady rhythm of his breathing against my back lulled me into a sense of serenity. A small smile tugged at the corners of my lips as I lay there, savoring the feeling of being held so tenderly.

Slowly, I untangled myself from Adrian's embrace, careful not to disturb his peaceful slumber. With a soft sigh, I slipped out of bed and made my way to the window, drawn by the soft light filtering through the curtains. Pulling them aside, I was greeted by a breathtaking sight: rolling hills blanketed in a sea of vibrant green, the sun casting a warm golden glow over the landscape.

Stepping outside onto the balcony, I breathed in the crisp morning air, feeling a sense of exhilaration wash over me. The world seemed to pulse with life and possibility, and for a moment, all my worries and doubts melted away.

But as I stood there, taking in the beauty of the world around me, a nagging sense of unease crept into my mind. Doubts and insecurities gnawed at the edges of my consciousness, threatening to overshadow the beauty of the moment. Was I truly ready to take on the responsibilities of ruling a kingdom? And what about Adrian—why had he rejected me, leaving me with more questions than answers?

The memory of our last conversation echoed in my mind, the pain of rejection still raw and fresh. I had trusted Adrian with my heart, only to have it shattered into a million pieces. Had I been a fool to believe in him and to follow my instincts without seeking explanations?

Lost in my thoughts, I wandered aimlessly through the gardens, the flowers nodding their heads in silent greeting as I passed. But even amidst the beauty of nature, I couldn't shake the feeling of uncertainty that weighed heavily on my heart.

As I reached the edge of the garden, I found myself standing at the edge of a small stream, its crystal-clear waters sparkling in the sunlight. The sound of rushing water soothed my troubled mind, and for a moment, I allowed myself to forget about the burdens of the world.

But just as I began to relax, a sudden movement caught my eye—a shadowy figure lurking among the trees. My heart leaped into my throat as I realised I wasn't alone, a sense of foreboding settling over me like a heavy blanket.

Before I could react, something struck me hard on the back of the head, sending shockwaves of pain radiating through my skull. Stars exploded behind my eyelids as I stumbled forward, the world spinning wildly out of control.

"Gotcha," a voice hissed triumphantly, the sound fading into the distance as I tumbled headlong into darkness.

The last thing I remembered before succumbing to unconsciousness was the feeling of fear gripping my heart like a vice and the overwhelming sense of dread that washed over me like a tidal wave. And as the darkness closed in around me, I couldn't help but wonder what new horrors awaited me on the other side.