Chapter 17

Adrian stared at me intently after my confession, a heartbroken expression on his face. He approached me gently, his green eyes sparkling with love and agony as he cupped my face in his enormous hands. He rested his forehead on my head, his eyes closed, and he drew in a sharp intake of breath. He tenderly kissed my forehead, his lips lingering there for a while.

"I know I am not worthy of you and your trust. But please believe me when I say I never want to see you hurt, especially by me. If it were upto me, I would have already told you everything. I know I have no right to ask this after everything but please believe that I lo--uh-- like you very much. I will explain everything to you soon. Please don't give up on us", he whispered in a gentle tone.

I stood in shock in his arms, thinking about everything he said. My mind says to push him away and not be stupid, but my heart believes otherwise. The soulmate bond ignited within me, bursting with joy at his words.

I took a step away from his hold and whispered softly, "okay." He blinked open his eyes, a mixture of delight and surprise on his face as he looked at me. "Really?" he exclaimed, his face beaming.

"Yeah. Maybe I am an idiot to trust you so easily. But I want this. I want you. Please don't let me down",  I admitted with a vulnerable tone.

"Thank you," he exclaimed, his face beaming with joy. Seeing his happiness brought a smile to my face. "And, yes, we'll keep our friendship a secret until you finish whatever idiotic assignment you're working on. Oh, and if I see Rebecca touch you again, I'll burn her hands, as well as yours ", I said, a fire ball forming and whirling on my palms.

"I expect nothing less, my firecracker. Can I hold you now?", he asked teasingly approaching me. I smiled as I shook my head and walked into his arms. "Can you please put out that fireball now?", he asked smiling down at me. "Oh sorry," I whispered sheepishly as I used my magic to disperse the fireball. He gave a soft chuckle. Sparks flowing between us urged me to stay put, but the sight of untouched food on his table reminded me that he needed to eat.

I pulled myself away from his hold in a great effort and took his hand, guiding him to his bed. I made him sit on it and went to fetch the food from his table. "I think its too early for that babe", Adrian teased wiggling his eyes suggestively. 

I grinned as I placed the food in front of him and said, "You wish!!" "Now eat," I said as I stood next him. "Gladly," he said as he drew me into him and sat me on his lap, burying his head in my neck and sucking on the skin. A gasp escaped my lips at the contact. With much reluctance, I carefully moved his head away from my neck and pecked his lips before rising, my cheeks flushed.

"Not me, you pervert!! I was referring to food "I said with a little smile on my face. He looked disappointed and reached for the meal, taking small bites. I sat by him on his bed and kept an eye on him till he finished his meal. When he was finished, he flipped his hand, and the plates and tray vanished. "I ate. Happy?", he asked, laying down beside me and pulling me into his arms. I mumbled, "Very," as I kissed his cheek and rested my head on his chest.

We remained in peaceful silence, content to be in one other's arms. A knock on his door jolted us out of our reverie. I moaned and began to rise, but Adrian pulled me back down. "Go away", he yelled, glaring at the door. "Nuh uh. Open the door, Adie. I'm not leaving till you answer the door "Jason said, knocking loudly. "Ignore it. He'll ultimately leave ", Adrian sighed and rested his head on my hair, his breathing light. Jason continued to knock, and I looked at Adrian, raising my brows at him. Adrian shook his head angrily as he shifted me from his chest to the bed and stood up, muttering curses under his breath.

Adrian opened the door and glared at his cousin. "What?" he barked at Jason. "Oh, nothing. Do you want to see that new horror movie with us? Dan is putting the movie in the home theatre. Come join us if you guys are interested," Jason suggested. Upon seeing me on Adrian's bed, he glanced between Adrian and I and smiled teasingly. "Oooooo, what were you guys up to?!?",  Jason inquired slyly.

"Nothing that concerns you. Now go away.", Adrian tried to close the door in Jason's face, but Jason blocked it with his hand and asked seriously, "You guys are okay, right? Are you guys together now?"

Adrian cast a glance at me before replying to Jason," Yes we are together. But, for now, let's keep it between us because you know why " That caught my attention. So, Jason know the reason and what that mission is for that I can't know about. Hearing Adrian's answer brought genuine happiness on Jason's face. "It's about time," Jason said cheerfully as he hugged Adrian and congratulated him. Adrian laughed as he hugged him back. Jason, breaking from the hug, came over and ruffled my head jovially. "Congrats, future cousin-in-law. Welcome to the family", Jason grinned at me. "Thanks", I chuckled, fixing my hair.

"So, you knew Adrian and I are soulmates and you didn't say anything to me in months, traitor. I thought we are friends", I glared at Jason. "Oh, we are much more than friends", Jason wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. Hearing this, Adrian approached and lightly punched Jason on his arm. "Relax, dude. I was kidding. Jeesh", Jason rubbed his arm dramatically. 

"I apologise for not being able to say anything, Harry Potter. We can't say anything about it because of the mission ", Jason confessed guiltily and glumly. "Wait, what? Harry Potter?", Adrian inquired, confused, as he shifted his gaze between Jason and me. "Adie, that's our secret. We're not going to say anything "He winked at me and grinned childishly as he poked his tongue out at Adrian. In return, I gave Jason a cold stare. Jason sighed and mumbled, "You are one of my closest friends. I'm sorry we won't be able to tell you. It's not that we don't want to; it's just that we can't. We are constrained by orders. I am sorry that you feel like you can't trust me—us anymore. Please forgive me", Jason said with a regretful tone and a hopeful gaze at me. His remarks infuriated me, and I huffed exasperatedly. What's with people always keeping something from me? 

"Okay. I forgive you for now", I eventually said, sensing his remorse. "I'm repeating what I told Ian here. You're going to tell me as soon as that ridiculous task is through. That cause had better be worthwhile. Because if I find out that you're keeping me in the dark for some ridiculous reason, I'm going to burn your insides out. Understood? ", I warned. Jason gulped at my words and timidly replied, "Yes ma'am", he saluted.