two - major

"This happened in a bar?"

Mae nods, sat on the edge of the bed as Hunt examines the stitches. "Yeah, my leaving do - what a great send off. Jackson was there and offered to sort me out, figured it was quicker than taking up a bed." She shrugs small.

"Well you're very lucky, he's our top plastic surgeon. Once these heal, I doubt you'll even know they were there." He smiles, snipping another stitch.

Mae smiles small. "Just feel bad I ruined his night."

"I'm sure you didn't." Hunt smiles. "So you left the army, what made you decide to do that? You can't be more than 30."

"31." She smiles, looking at the floor. "I didn't willingly leave, I was discharged, but it was the right move. If it hadn't happened, I'd probably have left soon anyway."

"I'm sorry to hear."

"How did you end up here?" She wonders, looking over her shoulder at him.

"I'd done my time. I was offered a good job here, I figured it was better than getting shot at." He tries to joke.

Mae laughs small. "I feel that... do you- well, do you find it easier having a lot of noise when falling asleep?"

"Oh yeah. My ex-wife hated it." He laughs. "We get so used to the noise of gunfire and explosions and yelling that when it's gone you feel..."

Mae nods. "Empty."

"Right." Hunt nods. He clears his throat. "There we go. Healing nicely."

"Perfect." She smiles, jumping down and slipping her cardigan back up. "Thank you for your help, Major." She salutes.

Hunt laughs. "Stand down, major."

She winks and grabs her bag. "Let me know what I'm in for?"

"Now you're out?" Hunt raises an eyebrow. She nods. "Well..." He takes a deep breath. "It's going to be tough. Adjusting to civilian life, finding a new normal, finding a job that fulfills the time you now have. Living in one place - that took a long time to get used to." He shakes his head but smiles softly. "Do you fancy a job here? I could always use more trauma surgeons."

Mae laughs. "Absolutely not." She shakes her head.

He smiles. "Well the offer stands. Here-" he scribbles his number on some paper and tears the corner off, "- is my number. Call, any day any time, if you need anything at all. It can be lonely on the outside."

Mae hesitates but takes his number, forcing a smile. "Thank you, Major. Thank your friend again for me."

"Absolutely." He nods, watching her go.

Mae heads out and hails a cab, the driver seeming alert at the blood all over her. "Oh cmon, you're picking me up from a hospital - people bleed in hospitals, get over it." She tuts, crossing her arms as she sits in the back.