nineteen - moving

"How are things?" Teddy asks as she looks over her surgical goggles.

Mae focuses on the abdomen in front of her. "Strange." She finally admits as she holds her hand out for the next instrument. "I'm practically living at Jacksons now and I suddenly have a kid to take care of. Sort of terrifying." She gives a nervous laugh.

"I sort of felt that way when Owen and I committed to it for real." Teddy sympathises.

"But you had a kid, too. I don't really do kids - with MJs, I was hoping to learn as it grows." She shrugs.

"You still can. 3 is an easy age." Teddy laughs. "Leo just plays princess."

"How are you handling that?" Mae asks softly.

Teddy takes a deep breath. "I...m adjusting. The therapist says to let him set the terms of it, he's the guide. For now he's okay with being a He but she told us to be prepared that he may decide she suits better." She shakes her head small. "I just got used to having a son and now... I don't know. Its not a bad thing, its just an adjustment."

"You're doing amazing." Mae smiles. "You're handling it like a goddess."

She laughs. "You compliment me more than my husband does."

"Divorce him and marry me then." She sings.

"Does Jackson know this plan?"

Mae suppresses a groan - only just - as Catherine walks in scrubbed and ready. "Doctor Fox, impeccable timing. We just finished up." She sets her scissors down and steps back. "Have fun."

"Don't you wish to stay? Bad patient care to leave half way." Catherine steps up where Mae was.

Mae throws her gown and mask in the correct bins. "It's better patient care to not miss your next surgery so." She shrugs. "Bye now."

"Is it suddenly cold in here?" Teddy dramatically shivers with a smirk as she and Mae de-scrub.

"I don't know what you mean." She smirks and dries her hands, grabbing her phone to answer. "Helloooo?"

"Benny took a fall." MJ says breathless.

Mae pales and rushes out. "Where? What happened? Is he okay?"

"He was at PT. He's been doing-doing so well." MJ cries a little. "His leg gave out for some reason and he smacked to the floor so fast. I-I haven't seen him, I'm on my way to the hospital."

"Okay, stay calm. Your focus right now is yourself and that baby, we can't have you in a state and risking yourself." Mae grabs a pen and scribbles a note, shoving it at the closest nurse who nods and rushes off. "Where are you headed? What hospital?"

"Um," MJ sniffs and takes a breath. "Fuck, I dunno."

"It's fine, calm. What you're going to do is drive. Forget getting to the hospital, you're going to come here-"

"I am not leaving my husband alone in the hospital!" MJ yells. 

Mae rolls her eyes. "I didn't say that did I? I need you both here so I can take care of you but I can't, however, fly you in a helicopter in your state. I'd rather you drive with a head start while I make some calls and get Bentley sent here. Got it?"

MJ is silent for a moment. "Got it... thank you."

"Drive safe. Keep me updated and I will see you soon." She promises and hangs up. "Atticus!" She rushes over as he heads towards her.

"You sent for me, everything okay?" He worries.

"Do you remember Bentley?" She asks quickly. He nods, hands on hips. "He took a fall. I don't know how or why but he has. I want you on his case to assess him and make sure he's okay."