twenty two - hard truth

Mae rubs her bruised sternum with an audible wince. "Jesus." She mutters.

Jackson leans on the edge of the bed, silent since he frantically rushes to her side as she was brought in. He hasn't uttered a words since she was given the all clear.

She slowly exits the bathroom and winces as she slips her jacket on. "Ready to spring this place?" She tries to lightly say.

Jackson stares at the ground and takes a shaky breath. "I thought... I thought I'd lost you." His voice cracks and he looks up at her finally, eyes watery. "I figured 'this is it'."

Mae frowns small. "I'm okay. I'm right here-"

"What were you thinking!" He bursts, standing as he throws his arms up. One rests on his forehead and the other on his hip as he begins to pace. "What possessed you to run into that!"

"Instinct." She snaps. "Knowledge. An ability to help." She shrugs, glaring. "I saved-"

"I don't give a fuck who you saved." Jackson glares. "Not when you put yourself at risk. And you just left MJ, she was frantic! You have any idea what risk you put her AND the baby in!?"

"I stressed her out, I know, but she would have done the same given-"

"No. You and I know she wouldn't. This is a Ty thing, isn't it?" He demands.

"Don't you bring Ty into this!" Mae screams, shocking herself at the way she responds.

Jacksons eyes are wide in a similar response. He's silent, deadly so, both hands on his hips. "It's been almost a year." He says quietly. "And it's been a hard year. You haven't truly grieved him and... and I think you need to talk to someone."

"I'm fine." Mae says, her voice breaking as she blinks back tears.

"No, darling, you're not." Jackson walks closer but stops as she puts her hands up. "Ty is gone. And he isn't coming back and I am sorry. I'm so sorry he isn't here. But I am... and MJ. And Harriet. What would I tell her if anything happened to you?" He asks. It's a poor move, to try and guilt trip her, but he isn't sure what else will work.

Mae bursts into tears and covers her face. She feels his arms slip around her and she leans into him as she sobs. She didn't think. And that absolutely was a Tyler thing to do. TJ would run head first into any situation and did right until the day he died. This stupidity is what took him from her, what almost took Benny from her and MJ.

Jackson sighs and kisses her head still holding her close. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that. I shouldn't guilt you."

Mae wipes her cheeks as she pulls away a little. "N-no, you should. You're r-right." She hiccups and takes a few breaths. She turns away to compose herself as someone knocks the door.

"Hey, cmon in." Jackson says gently.

MJ slowly comes in and looks over at Mae. She wants to be all guns blazing but the moment she sees her, she breaks. "You're okay." She whispers tearfully.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorr-"

"Shut up." MJ grabs her close.

Mae holds her bump and closes her eyes, relieved as she feels her god baby kick. She takes a few deep breaths as MJ holds her. "I behaved like TJ and I shouldn't have. It was stupid and put you under so much stress." She quickly rambles.

"It was stupid. It was so fucking moronic." MJ agrees and shoves her. "You walked away this time but what about the next? TJ learned too late. Don't do the same, I can't lose you. I won't. Am I clear? I am not losi-"

"You're not losing me. I swear." Mae grabs her close again and closes her eyes.

Jackson smiles small. "Let's get you both home. Grab a pizza on the way or something."