twelve - the ex

Mae stands outside the hospital waiting for Jackson to get here; he's usually always on time but today he's late. That's strange. It's unusual. It's unheard-of. Jackson Avery doesn't do late, he does early. Not even on time - that man has to be at least 15 minutes early or he'll freak.

She checks the time again and hesitates, finally heading inside. She can't be late for her shift; she's sure there's a reason he's late, he may even be here. Caught up in something. She changes into her dark blue scrubs and ties her hair back, slipping a claw in before wrapping her stethoscope around her neck and heading down to the pit.

Like most shifts working in thr ER, it's definitely... enlightening. Sarcasm, duh. She stitches a couple of knees or heads, sends for a dozen x rays of hands, feet or chests. She gets a gnarly trauma with some deep burns - that's when she sees Jackson for the first time the whole shift.

"Hey." She says as she runs to catch up since he left before she could.

"Hey I'm heading into surgery." He holds the elevator door. "Whats up?"

"I uh I waited for you this morning. You were late." She says.

He smiles. "You're cute... I'm sorry, I had to sort something with April and the lawyer. I should have called." He leans down for a kiss.

She kisses back. "S'okay. Everything alright?"

He takes a deep breath. "April wants to move back to Ohio. With Harriet." He puffs air from his cheeks, blocking the elevator doors as he half steps off onto the OR floor. "We got into an argument. Called the lawyer as soon as I left hers."

"I'm so sorry." She frowns. "Anything I can do?"

"Wine would be great later. Please. I'll probably be late." He checks his pager. "Love you." He quickly kisses her and runs.

Mae sighs and leans on the elevator wall, the doors closing but the thing not moving. She stares at nothing for a moment, sighing. She hates not knowing how to help; she'd usually call MJ for things like this but they're still not entirely talking. Just the odd message letting each other know 'hey I'm alive, not dead yet' sort of thing.

With another sigh, she pushes the button for the ground floor and checks on the pit. As she's in the stock room she feels a familiar ache, quickly dropping what's in her hands onto the trolley before she grabs it, gritting her teeth.

"Uh, you good?" A voice asks.

Mae squeezes her eyes shut. "Cramp. Fine." She manages to give a thumbs up, the woman just staring as she waits. After a moment Mae exhales relaxing some, looking over at the redhead. "Sorry... this looks totally weird."

"No no. Just wanted to make sure." She smiles. "Are you new? I used to work here, know most faces but not yours."

"I am, I'm Wigan- I mean, Mae Wigan

"I am, I'm Wigan- I mean, Mae Wigan. Sorry, old habit. I'm a-"

"Trauma surgeon... dating Jackson Avery." She nods slowly. "This is uh this is awkward."