twenty one - fox

Mae whistles as she cleans her hands, glancing through the OR window to see them clearing it up. It's always a good day when things go smoothly. Always puts her in a good-

"There you are. Family meeting, 5 minutes, in the conference room."

Good mood? No. Todays meant to be a good day... Good day? Mae means torturous day. She glances over at Catherine. "You admit I'm family then?"

"No. But Jackson wants you there." She shrugs and walks off, the door swinging closed behind her.

Mae rolls her eyes and huffs as she shakes the water off her hands, drying them slowly to waste some time. Family. Ha. She wouldn't want to be related to Catherine, not ever! But saying that means she'd never end up with Jackson and that's the total opposite of what she wants. It's a shame she can't have one without the other.

Mae makes her way to the conference room and freezes in the doorway. "Oh."

April looks over from the chair she sits in, just as surprised as Mae. "Ah."

"This is..."

"Awkward." April nods once in agreement, avoiding watching her sit at the other end of the table by staring at the window. "Fantastic." She mutters.

"I don't particularly want to be here but you don't say no to Catherine." Mae defends.

"I'm aware." April says, both awkwardly looking away as they refuse to acknowledge the other.

The tension could be cut with a knife as Jackson walks in whistling, the sound trailing off as he finds his ex wife and future wife (hopefully) avoiding each others existence. "What... is happening?" He says slowly, eyebrows raised, blue eyes confused.

"Your mother." Mae simply states as she scratches her neck. "If this doesn't start soon I'll need to go, I've got-"

"A thing with MJ, I know I know." He sits beside her, torn between wanting to give her a kiss and ask how she is and also hyper aware of April being so near.

There's a few heartbeats of silence before Mae stands. "I'm gonna-"

"Sit down." Catherine orders, entering with a short blonde woman in a skirt suit following behind her. The door swings shut and she crosses her arms. "We are going to sort this out."

"Sort what?" April innocently asks with a fake smile.

Catherine scoff/laughs. "Oh child, please." She tuts and sits, clasping her hands on the table. "This here is Constance Rivers, she is a family attorney and she has drafted up a custody agreement you're going to agree to."

"Mom." Jackson says with a warning edge to his voice. "This isn't your place."

"It is my place when my grandbaby is being thrown all over the place." She says with a 'high and mighty' tone. She leans forward on the table. "I'm being the bigger person and speaking for Harriet, which none of yall are."

"Woah there, back up." Mae raises a hand and instantly sits up. "I believe you just implied that no one is on Harriet's side."

"That I did." Catherine shrugs, raising a brow. "Problem?"

"Oh yes." Mae says, only to be interrupted.

"You'll have your turn to speak-" Catherine tries.

Mae interrupts right back. "Shut up." She firmly says. Catherine is stunned to silence so Mae rushes to continue, pointing to Jackson. "This man is sleeping 4 hours a night some nights just to make sure he's spending enough time with Harriet, getting things sorted for her, working to provide for her, getting her where she needs to be, pleasing everyone around him." She snaps, glaring at Catherine as she then points to April. "That woman is fighting just as hard to give Harriet what she wants and needs, making sure her home is right, making sure Harriet has what she believes is the best chance."