nine - meetings and greetings

MJ follows Mae into the hospital, looking around. "It's so clean."

"I know, weird huh. Not used to such nice working conditions." She smiles as they head to the surgical floor. "Yo, Hunt. Where's your wife?" She calls.

He looks over and smiles suddenly, instantly recognising MJ from photos. "Aortic dissection. You must be MJ, I'm Owen." He holds a hand out.

She shakes it. "Pleasure to meet you, thank you for taking care of my hopeless little lamb."

"I'm sorry, hopeless? I got us through Germany while drunk as a skunk with only 40 bucks in my pocket, I'm a legend." Mae tuts.

Owen laughs. "Oktoberfest?" He guesses as MJ nods. "Every soldier has an Oktoberfest story."

"I don't." Teddy says as she comes over. "MJ right?" She smiles excitedly.

"You must be Teddy! Hi!" MJ smiles and they hug tightly.

"Has she talked to you about pretty boy?" Teddy whispers.

"Oh yes." MJ nods as they pull apart.

Mae raises an eyebrow. "Sorry, what're we whispering about?"

Owen smirks. "Is that my pager? Shoot, bye guys." He winks at Mae and walks off.

Mae looks at her friends who smirk. "This is about him- look, grow- ugh stop!"

"We're just looking at you, lamb, what's the problem?" MJ smiles sweetly.

"You're creepy, both of you. Take my car and get out of here, pick me up at 4 unless I text otherwise, okay?" Mae throws her keys to MJ.

MJ smiles and catches them. "Love you too. Bye, Teddy, we definitely need a girls night soon."

"Absolutely, I won't let her worm her way out." Teddy assures as MJ heads out. "Oh don't be such a grump." She tuts at Mae.

Mae subtly flips Teddy off as she scratches her cheek. "Bye Altman." She smirks as Teddy gasps. She heads to the attendings lounge to dump her things and smiles mixed with a blush as she sees Jackson making coffee. "Morning."

"Good morning." He smiles. "Coffee?" He offers.

"Oh yes please. MJ drank mine this morning." She shakes her head and takes the cup he offers.

"MJ? That's your best friend, right?" He asks as he makes his own and leans on the counter holding the paper cup.

Mae swallows her mouthful of coffee as she nods. "Mhmm. She was on my doorstep when you dropped me off."

"I bet that was a nice surprise?" He smiles as he watches her.

She blushes as she nods. "It was... what's that look for?"

"I don't know, I just like making you blush." He admits with a smile.

Mae blushes more. "Stopppp."

"What? Making you blush or staring? Coz I can't do either." He smirks.

"Ass."

"I'll take my coffee ba-"

"Okay okay!" Mae holds the cup to her chest and holds her other hand out as if to keep him away. "Don't be so drastic, I can be nice."

"You can?" He playfully gasps.

Mae smiles as she blushes. "You're trouble, Jackson Avery."

He glances at his phone as he gets paged, flashing her a smile. "Me? Of course. I'll see you later." He downs most of his coffee, cringing as he does, before rushing off.