seventeen - mother

Catherine did not, in fact, get the hint to leave

Catherine did not, in fact, get the hint to leave. And so an hour later, Mae takes a deep breath and sets her popcorn bowl down. "So uh, can I get you anything?"

Catherine raises a brow. "Cut the crap, Wigan, say what you've been biting back."

Mae puffs air into her cheeks then huffs slapping her thighs. "Right, okay. I think you're being a nosy bitch who needs to back off."

Catherine laughs. "I'll give it a 7 out of 10 for courage. 3 out of 10 for originality." She says sarcastically. "For his entire almost 40 years of life, I've been the one looking out for him. When his father left, when he was bullied, when he struggled, when his girlfriends would break his heart - I was the one fixing him. He's my baby, he always will be."

"I don't dispute that. But like you said - he's almost 40. At this point, Catherine, surely you can see he can take care of himself. You're his mom and he'll always need you somehow but not ruling his life."

"And what would you know about mothers? You don't have one do you?"

Mae bites her cheek. "That. That was uncalled for."

"Not untrue." Catherine shrugs. "Does he know the truth?"

Mae crosses her arms. "Why does it concern him? She's dead, she isn't coming back."

"Mm." Catherine muses.

Mae scoffs. "Tell him if you want, if that's part of your plan to get rid of me."

"Oh sweetie, I don't need to get rid of you. He'll do that eventually or you'll get rid of yourself." She leans on the arm of the couch. "Lexie died. Stephanie got burned and left. Maggie was his stepsister and that was enough to end it. Hughes couldn't handle it, April ruined it all on her own and Jo was just a fling."

"Jo... Jo Wilson?" Mae raises a brow.she did not know that. "To me it sounds like an awful lot of tragedy that you're relishing in."

"God works in his own way." She shrugs.

"I won't be going anywhere Catherine, I assure you. Not even a war could kill me  - and god it tried to. Have you ever been blown up?" Mae challenges; she notices the smallest amount of shrinkage in Catherine. "Ever seen your friends die? The life leave their eyes, your hands covered in their blood, having to tell their husbands and wives you did all you can... to be the one to survive after all-"

"Okay I get it, it's been tough. Life's hard, Mae, we both know it." Catherine snaps.

"Is that what this is about then?" Mae tilts her head. "You had cancer right? Pretty bad, I recall Jackson saying. What is this, your final push?"

"My health is perfectly fine, thank you; I'm certainly here for a while longer." Catherine says smugly. "But I can play the Cancer card if I need to. Since, you know, I have it."

"Wooooow." Mae shakes her head. "It's okay. You play that card, I'll play the girlfriend card. After all, he gets sex with that one." She smirks a little.