twenty - reunion

"I wike tha one." Harriet says as she smooshes her face against the store window.

"The one with the green bow?" Mae kneels down beside her with a smile. "Shall we go in and get it?"

"Pease!" Harriet smiles as she quickly nods. "Daddy will wuff it." She squeals.

Mae smiles wide and they find the dress in Harriets size, heading to pay; she lifts the tot up so she can hand the money over herself. "Awesome job, kiddo, you're good at spending dad's money huh." She teases.

Harried holds the bag, most of it dragging along the floor beside her. "Easy peasy." She giggles as her free hand holds Mae's.

"Not even 3 and already a smarty pants." She giggles. "Now what should we hunt down for dinner? Anything you want." Mae smiles as they head to the car.

"Nuggets. Peas. An jello." Harriet lists.

Mae smiles and lifts her into the carseat. "Jello? You had that for lunch. And dessert. And I'm pretty sure your dad snuck you some for an early snack to keep you quiet."

She giggles. "Nuh uh."

Mae tickles her chin and closes the door, jumping up front. She has become the safest driver because of Harriet; no more speeding, weaving, overtaking when impatient. "Shall we go for a nap when we get home?"

"Nope." Harriet shakes her head as she bounces her legs. "Not tide." She keeps shaking her head.

"Uh huh." Mae smiles and shakes her head.

The kid tries her hardest to stay awake; she really does. She makes it all the way round the grocery store but, as predicted, Harriet is pretty much asleep when Mae parks in the garage, carefully getting her out. She pulls her phone out and tucks it between her cheek and shoulder. "Hey." She whispers as she kicks the door closed, heading to the elevator.

"Hi. What's with the whispering?" Jackson asks, amused.

"H conked out in the car on the way home and I gotta carry her up, I don't wanna wake her." She says quietly. "How's it going?"

Jackson takes a deep breath and sighs deeply. "I don't think we're going to resolve it today.  Judge says we have 48 hours to agree to some form of custody changes before he takes control."

Mae softly tuts and nudges the door open, moving Harriet to the couch. "What is she kicking up a stink about now?" She asks as she closes the apartment door then sits on the armchair.

"She's not agreeing to 70/30. She wants 90/10 for herself, I get her every other Christmas and it has to be near her. I'm being fairer, I'm saying I keep her with me but every summer and any events or birthdays can be arranged." He sighs again. "If she gets her way, I see my kid a few days a year."

Mae frowns deeply. "I'm sorry. I wish there was more that I can do."

"You're doing enough, I assure you. Taking care of Harriet, still going to work, making sure we are all fed - you're a star." He hums.

"I'm a constellation, sweetheart." She giggles, smiling wide as he laughs. "I'll let you get back but remember we both love you and you've got a Harriet special for dinner."

"A Harriet special? Oh god." He laughs.

Mae unpacks the groceries and tidies up some, getting the apartment in some kind of order for when Jackson gets back; the last thing he needs is the place to be a state. She's almost finished when the doorbell rings and she rushes to get it, checking over her shoulder to see if Harriet is still asleep.

"Hi..."

Mae's eyebrows shoot up. "Tyson... hi." She says slowly.

He holds a cardboard box. "I know we only spoke a few weeks ago and we never really sorted much... but I came across some of your old things and I thought you may want them." He smiles.