eleven - goodbyes

Mae carefully puts the red lipstick she packed on, checking her hair one last time before she heads out of the bathroom

Mae carefully puts the red lipstick she packed on, checking her hair one last time before she heads out of the bathroom. Jackson exits the bedroom at the same time, black suit donning his body. "You ready?" He asks.

Mae nods small. "If that's the word for it then yeah. You sure this is okay?" She looks at the midi length black dress she wears.

"You look lovely." He smiles. "Ty would be proud."

"He'd be pissed, I always promised I'd dress up as the grim reaper for his funeral and point to people to say 'you're next'." She jokes.

Jackson smirks. "I'm a little disappointed you didn't do it."

"MJ already wants my head, better not give her another reason." She forces a smile.

He takes her hand. "Let's not worry about MJ today, okay?"

"Easier said than done." She mumbles as they head to the elevator; Jackson rented a really fancy hotel despite her protests.

He takes her hand as they stand in silence. "I know it's not the time but..." He slowly begins, looking at their hands.  "But I'm thinking we should talk soon. About what comes next."

Mae looks at their hands too. "I knee this was coming eventually... just... let me get today out of the way."

"Absolutely. All the time you need, okay?" He smiles warmly and steps off the elevator.

They drive in a comfortable silence, her hand on his thigh as he drives. Mae feels her heart picking up pace as they near the cemetery. She sits up and shifts in her seat, taking a deep breath. "I can't-"

"You can. You've come this far. And I'm right beside you." Jackson says, grabbing her hand in his. He kisses it before jumping out and coming round, opening her door. He takes her hand again and kisses her head. "Come on. Deep breaths."

Mae grips his hand and forearm, walking close to his side, as they head over to where everyone has already gathered. MJ refuses to even look at her but Bentley gives her a careful hug, as best he can on crutches. Her and Jackson then stand nearer the front.

Mae manages to keep it together as the service goes on. She's thankful his family let her throw some dirty and a rose, MJ and Bentley doing the same. Jackson stays right at her side, hand on her hip or holding hers. He doesn't push when she stays frozen as everyone begins to leave. Soon enough, Jackson, Mae, MJ and Bentley are the only ones left.

Mae kneels down and takes a shaky breath, looking down at the coffin. "I love you, Tyler." She whispers.

"Love him enough to let him die?" MJ mutters.

Mae finally loses it; she's managed to keep it together and bite her tongue but no longer. She glares as she stands. "I did what he wanted!" She snaps.

"He was by your side every day when you were in the hospital. He wouldn't take no for an answer and he definitely wouldn't have turned you off if it came to it!" MJ snaps.