Summer Solstice Festival

Cicadas crying was the soundtrack to my summer and just about every summer. I found them peaceful this year, though perhaps that was because of the lack of myth hunters. It seemed that they had well and truly left us alone because of the heat.

I wasn't buying it but the Alphas were just pleased for the break. I couldn't really blame them but I don't think they quite grasped the severity of the situation with Crimson having left the Hirasawa mansion. I was concerned that she would just show up one day. I couldn't let that stop me though.

Ryan and I were running through the forest in wolf form, it was much cooler in there. The trees provided a shield from the overbearing sun though the air was humid it was preferable. The air rushing through my fur was cooling as well. The exercise was just needed. We had spent so many days slumped on the cool hardwood floors we were practically burning with energy. Dogs needed to be walked after all.

We came to the river and stopped. This was the spot, the temperature had dropped even further around it. I shifted and so did Ryan. I was in a bikini and he was in swimming trunks, we had come prepared. I leapt up onto a rock and tipped my toes in the cool water. It caressed them and I giggled.

"You're such a girl," Ryan said before pushing me in.

Cool water enveloped me, its touch not missing a single spot on my body. My hair flared around me. I was instantly refreshed but I came to the surface for air. Immediately I got slashed by Ryan jumping in beside me.

"Ugh you're such a guy," I shoved him.

He laughed and swam back over to me. I floated on my back and looked up at the sky. Not a cloud in sight, just pure blue with a ball of fire. The water licked at the edge of my face as I floated, filling my ears every now and then. A warm breeze came through, though it cooled me down further. The sounds of the forest were a perfect harmony, rustle of the leaves, birds singing and of course the cicadas.

"Do you know what I've been grateful for this summer break?" Ryan asked.

I looked over at him suspiciously, fully expecting him to do something like splash me or jump on me, "What have you been grateful for Ryan?"

"Not having the Amanes visit."

I laughed so hard I actually started sinking, I went back to treading water, "Are they really that bad?"

"You spent almost every day with them, you tell me."

I thought back to all the sexual harassing Lucius had been doing, "You are right I suppose."

"I never asked, why don't they like you anymore?" He looked at me.

I shrugged, "I'm a traitor."

Ryan chuckled, "I consider that a good thing."

"I guess I sided against them one too many times."

"Varinia you're better off without them."

I swam back to the bank and lifted myself up onto a rock, "I think so too but I wonder if it will be awkward when we come back from the holidays."

Ryan sat beside me and dunked his feet back into the water, "Maybe, but it sounds like there is someone you'd prefer to spend your time with."

I blushed, "I suppose, and it would be nice to be with Yami and Modesta too."

"I have no complaints with you having them at the pack more often," Ryan smiled.

I rolled my eyes. The pack had a lot of young male wolves, as I was the only young female, this made Yami and Modesta very popular. The beautiful Modesta particularly was the favourite.