Chapter Forty-Eight

A/N: Okay, so I totally pumped this one out ludicrously fast for you guys because you left so many comments and I adore you all! I hope you like this one, there's probably only two chapters to go!

~ ~ ~

Lydia and Karissa walked through the doors of the station, looking around for the sheriff.

The receptionist seemed to recognise Lydia and she called out to them.

"You two looking for the sheriff?" she asked.

"We need to talk to him, now," Lydia said.

"It's pretty urgent," Karissa said and the woman picked up her phone.

"Yes, sheriff? There's a couple of girls here to talk to you, sayin' it's important," she said, nodding once before hanging up the phone. "He says go right in, you remember―"

"I know where to go," Lydia said with a quick smile before they were moving through the halls and down to the sheriff's office.

They didn't even have to open the door because he was already there, holding it for them as they walked in.

"What is it girls? Do you know something?" he said, looking from one to the other desperately, the bags under his eyes sagging like he hadn't had a good night's sleep in days.

He looked from Lydia to Karissa and then did a double take, trying to pick where he recognised her from.

"We might have some information that you could use," Lydia said, looking up at Karissa.

"You probably don't remember me," she said with a small shrug.

He nodded a little, pointing his finger at her as it came back to him. "Karissa, right? You were here when..." he trailed off, unsure whether to continue.

"When my mom and sister were killed, yeah," she said. "It's fine, you can say it. I've had time to get used to hearing the words."

"Right," he said, giving her a sympathetic smile. "So what do you know?"

"Well that actually comes back to the whole 'my family is dead' thing," she said. "I know you law enforcement types don't exactly condone vigilante style justice but I couldn't just do nothing. I left for a while and I tried to track down who could have done this to them."

"You went looking for a killer on your own?" he asked.

"I'm capable of taking care of myself," she said. "But that's beside the point, the point is that I tracked back a few murders that were similar in other states and tried to find a link to the ones that were happening here and I'm almost sure I found one."

"Well what is it? Do you know who did this?" he asked.

Karissa looked over at Lydia for a moment and she nodded at her. "There was a similar murder in Colorado, at Denver University actually, and when I did a little digging, don't ask me how legal it was exactly, I found a few names that I thought I recognised.

"Does... does the name Cassie Calhoun sound familiar?" she asked and the sheriff almost shook his head and opened his mouth to say something but when the realisation hit him it came out in just a puff of air.

"Wait... wait... you're telling me that you think Cassie has something to do with this?" he asked. "Are you sure?"

"And her partner, whatever his name is," she said.

"Calvert," Lydia said.

The sheriff put a hand to his head and leant back on his desk. "It can't... all her paperwork checked out..."