Chapter Thirty-One

A/N: I don't know how many more chapters are coming, but there will probably be quite a few. Hope you enjoy this chapter, it's kind of long ... and stuff.

Keep up your comments, I love them.

                                      ~ ~ ~

Derek sat alone in the loft on Friday night.

He thought he might have gotten a text, or maybe even a call from Stiles to say goodbye but when nine o-clock came around and his phone remained blank he was quite sure that it wasn’t going to come.

He was frustrated, mostly with himself, partly with Stiles. He knew that their relationship would be complicated from the second he decided to act on his trigger. He just didn’t know that he would care so much, or that a teenager could actually have him waiting by the phone to let him know that they weren’t still fighting.

He shouldn’t care so much, he knew he shouldn’t. He knew that part of the reason why he told all three of them to stick to their plans was because he cared. He’d seen them get hurt before and the memory was still fresh enough to sting. The reasons he gave them were true enough, but it was this one that he kept to only himself, even if the others had their suspicions.

It wasn’t until ten that he felt his pocket gently buzzing while he read on the couch and he fished it out so that he could answer it.

“Hey,” he said softly.

“Hey Sourwolf,” he heard from the other line.

“How’s the road?” He asked.

“Long, and mostly boring. We can't even see the licence plates now so that game is sort of off the table. And Erica is the worst at I-Spy.” He said.

Derek nodded even though he knew Stiles couldn’t see him and he heard a little huff of air from him on the other end.

“Sorry I just sort of… you know, left.” He said.

“I’m sorry I asked you to.” Derek replied.

“All this college stuff is really killing our mojo isn’t it?”

“Had to happen at some point.”

“It did? I thought werewolves were like chronically in the mood or something.”

“I meant the part about college Stiles.”

“Yeah, yeah I suppose so.”

More silence.

“Look I uh, I was just calling because we’re taking a rest stop. It’s going to be another two hours before we get to the motel but I figured you’d be asleep or something and I didn’t want to leave things kind of, well you know―”

“Stiles…”

“Yeah, sorry, babbling.”

“I like your babbling.” Derek said softly.

Stiles chuckled a little. “Well, uh, I have to go.”

“Text me when you get there, and I don’t know whether I should tell you to drink coffee to stay alert or to avoid it so you don’t keep the others up all night.”

“Love you.”

“I know, I love you too.”

“Night Derek.” Stiles said before he hung up the phone and Derek was left once again with the sound of silence.

Something was going to have to give, he knew that. Stiles could get accepted into almost any school that he wanted so he would have to pick of the litter. He hated the thought of him off in another state for four years of school and if the last few arguments had been anything to go by then their relationship just wasn’t in a place that could handle that.