Chapter 5

SERENA POV

My body had a mind of its own, thanks to the many drinks Joyce kept feeding me.

The flashing lights and pounding music just made me dance more.

I hadn't experienced the feeling of losing control in a long time and realized how much I missed it.

Not a single thought was running through my head as I let my body move to the beat of the music.

No Lance. No secrets. No dark past.

Just me and my friend dancing in our alcohol daze.

I felt Joyce reach out for me and I grabbed her hands so we were facing each other. She had a wide smile on her face as she danced with me. A laugh left my mouth as she spun me around.

"This is so much fun!" I yell to her and she nods her head.

"I told you!"

And she wasn't wrong.

Why did I ever think clubs were bad? This is the most fun I have had in a long time!

After dancing for a while longer, I felt eyes on me but couldn't track them back to the person. It was like someone was watching me, and only me.

I stopped dancing and looked around for anyone looking in our direction but found no one.

The thoughts were back running through my mind as I felt the internal panic start.

The effect of alcohol quickly wore off as I slowly scanned every face close and far from me. Nobody was looking at us that I could see, but the feeling was still there.

When I turned back to Joyce, Spencer had graced us with his presence again. He was saying something to Joyce by her ear while she nodded.

"Hey," She says getting closer to me. "Spencer's going to bring us upstairs."

I nod my head as she grabs my hand, maneuvering us through the crowd. My eyes move upwards to the large glass panel I hadn't noticed before. The windows were tinted but I could see a figure behind them, looking straight at me.

My eyes stayed on the figure as Joyce led me away from the dance floor. Joyce said she was bringing us upstairs so I would see them staring person soon.

And when I did...

My head snapped away from the tinted glass and back towards where we were going.

Spencer leads us to a back hall and then up a set of stairs. The music was just a buzz up here.

"Where are we going?" I ask, letting go of Joyce's hand now that I couldn't get lost.

"To the VIP section," Spencer says over his shoulder at me with a smile. At the end of the hall, he stopped and put a code into the last door before opening it for us.

Joyce went in excitedly but I walked hesitantly, looking around the room as I entered.

The lights were dimmed slightly and the walls were the same red as downstairs. In the corner was a mini bar with a few people standing around it.

In the middle of the room, were some comfy-looking black couches that were empty. There were only five or six people in the room other than us.

"Would you like you to sit?" Spencer asks.

"Of course," Joyce says and plops down on the couch near the bar. Spencer quickly took the seat next to her so I was left with the couch across from them. My eyes watched the people standing around the bar cautiously.