Chapter 10

Clayton POV

"Hey," Spencer says as he enters my office and sits across from me. I nod my head at him as I stare at the papers in front of me.

I had been staring at them for a while but hadn't been able to focus.

My mind kept going back to Scarlet and the fear in her eyes when we were at the beach.

I scared her without meaning to when I asked her to move to Italy. I don't know why I did it yesterday, but it just slipped out of my mouth before I could stop it.

"I have to talk to you about something, you have a second?" He asks and I place my pen down, knowing I wasn't going to get anything done anyway.

"What's up?"

"Joyce called last night," He says and I stare at him blankly on why that involves me. "About Scarlet."

"Is she okay?" I ask leaning forward. If someone hurt her I will personally kill them with my bare hands.

"She's fine, just frightened..."

"What happened?" I spit out while my anger rises. "Who hurt her?"

He was quiet for a few seconds while he stared at me.

"Apparently you did," He says and I feel my heart stop. "Joyce said you scared the shit out of her by asking her to move to Italy. She was ready to cut and run as far away from Italy as she could. Joyce had to nearly tie her down to get her to stay. What the hell were you thinking man? You could have ruined the whole plan..."

"I get that but they are after her and the more compliant she is the easier this will be!" I spit but don't believe my own words. I knew in my gut that wasn't the reason I wanted her to willingly stay here.

"I know that, but she doesn't realize how close they are to finding her and she doesn't know who you are and why you want her to stay. Think of this from her side. You just met her for the first time and asked her to move in with a stranger. You have to understand how crazy that sounds!" He yells at me, which fueled my anger more.

I give him a warning glare and he leans back in his chair.

"I'm saying this as your friend, maybe you should just let her go, man. You just met the girl for fottuti sake! I have never seen you so worked up about anything and now you are going crazy over some girl," He spits at me with a shake of his head. "Is this even about the plan anymore or just about a fuck?" (**translation- fucking sakes**)

"You better shut your mouth before I shut it for you," I groan at him and his jaw clenches closed tightly at my threat.

We stare each other down for a few seconds before he releases a deep breath.

"Fine! Just let me know what the plan is because it's obvious the plan has changed," He says with a huff.

I was quiet for a moment as I stare down at my desk.

I didn't even know what the plan was anymore.

"Tell the men the plan is thrown away," I say and he nods. "We are no longer going to use her against them. We will protect her as long as she is in Italy. I will convince her to stay."

I watch him from underneath hooded eyes as he nods his head with a thinking expression.

"What is it?" I ask and he looks up at me.

"We have taken so much time and used so many resources to find her. What makes you so sure she would want to stay? I mean think about it. She never stayed in one place long enough for us to find her but she stayed in California for a while. Maybe she has given up."