Chapter 16

Serena POV

I stared in silence at Massimo for a few minutes. His eyes bore right back at me as they scanned me for a reaction.

But I was blank.

My emotions were gone.

My body was numb.

He just proposed to work together to take down the Spanish mafia.

"Say something," His voice is gruff and demanding as his eyes darken, irritated from the long span of silence.

My mouth stays closed as I move my eyes to the wall.

The dark walls seem to calm me as I look over the smooth texture.

"So let me get this straight," I finally say before looking over at him. He nods his head for me to continue, happy the silence was filled. "You tricked me into marriage to help you take down Ricardo's empire?"

"That was not the plan originally," He starts but I stare hard at him.

"No your original plan was to use me as a tool to lure them out into the open. Then you decided you want to protect me, which I think is bullshit, and had me sign a falsified document to protect me under your mafia. But now that you know I am portador de la Muerte you want me to help you take them down," I finish and his dark eyes glare at me. "How close am I?"

He clenches his jaw as he watches me closely.

"That is correct," He says forcefully. I could hear the seething anger in his voice that I'm not just giving him a straight answer.

Looks like that falsified niceness over the past weeks is gone, just as I thought.

"And what makes you think I will help you do this?"

"You know as well as I do that he doesn't deserve life," He says with a harsh voice that would have sent chills up my spine. "The horrible things he has done need to face retribution. It is time he pays for his sins. I know how much you want to kill Ricardo with your bare hands."

"I do not want to kill him," I interrupt with a shake of my head. "Yes, I want to see him suffer but I do not wish death upon him. You want to see him dead for what he did with your mother."

He was silent for a moment as I look over at him.

"You know nothing," He spits after tensing slightly.

"The way I see it, there are two opponents in this room right now who both believe they have the upper hand with knowledge. Neither knows what the other does since they are strangers. So we could sit here for hours to compare dick sizes or we could get to the point and move on with our lives."

Silence.

That seemed to be his response whenever he had to try and get a grip on his emotions.

"Are you going to help or not?" He says with a huff of air.

"Let me clarify before I agree to anything. You want me to release the bringer of death on Ricardo and become the person he once made me be. But I will not," I say, his face going red with anger. "If you want him dead then you have to find a new plan because I will not take another life and be the person I once was."

The room was quiet as his chest rose in anger. His breaths slowly became calmer as he ran a hand through his hair.

"If you need, send me back to him to take your revenge," I say with no hesitation knowing that was the next plan if I didn't help.

"No," He says with a shake of his head. "I will not send you back there to be killed."

"Tomas will not let that happen..."