Chapter 21: Tanith

A/N: The Tarnished arrives at Volcano Manor~

-x-X-x-

As the Head of Volcano Manor, it's not unheard for Tanith to receive word of potential prospects long before they reach her doors. In fact, it's more common for recruits to come with some recommendation or other than to not.

This Tarnished though... she's not quite sure how long it's been since she had quite so many words spoken on a potential recruit's behalf. Rya was downright smitten, the poor girl! Tanith had yet to get the full story out of the scout, but from what she understood, Rya had certainly been at a low point, when the Tarnished came along and helped her out.

The other members of Volcano Manor all had a kind word to say as well. Patches spoke of how this Tarnished had spared the man's life after an... unfortunate misunderstanding involving some meager belongings. Meanwhile, Knight Bernahl, talked of how the Tarnished had handled a Bell Bearing Hunter near the Warmaster's Shack on Stormhill with ease. Even Bernahl, old curmudgeon that he was, had sounded vaguely impressed in his recounting.

It was the words of their newest recruit, however, that had truly caught Tanith's attention if she were being honest. She'd been careful not to let Rya know, as the girl did so love to gush on and on about her hero. But Diallos Hoslow had been the one to provide the most actionable intelligence on this new Tarnished that Rya had extended an invitation to.

As the newest among their number here in Volcano Manor, the somewhat foppish young man was also the latest out of Roundtable Hold. The rest of them weren't quite welcome in that place of course, stronghold of the Two Fingers as it was. But Diallos had been there recently... and when he'd arrived at Volcano Manor, he'd brought with him quite the exciting news.

A Tarnished had slain a Demigod and laid claim to a Great Rune. That was the news, as it stood, when Diallos arrived. Godrick the Grafted was dead, his Great Rune claimed, a shardbearer vanquished. And from what Diallos had said, the Tarnished who had done it was on his way to the Academy of Raya Lucaria to add a second Great Rune to his collection.

How long, had she and the other denizens of Volcano Manor served their Lord Rykard faithfully in all things? How long had the balance been maintained in spite of their hard work? How long had everything seemed so... sedentary? It mattered not. What mattered was change was coming. Of course, as soon as she heard the news of Godrick's defeat, Tanith sent out others to gather more information.

Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon, had indeed been defeated by the same Tarnished who brought low Godrick. Though apparently, she still lived according to the reports. General Radahn, however, did not. Three Great Runes. Three shardbearers defeated. All by the same Tarnished.

When it was confirmed that Diallos and Rya's Tarnished were one in the same, Tanith had been altogether intrigued. And now... he was finally here. To say she was curious would be an understatement.

Tis as Rya had said. He comes before her clad in the armor of a Crucible Knight, but with the helm removed to show quite the handsome face. As the Tarnished strides forward, her loyal and faithful bodyguard, the Crucible Knight ever-present at her side, straightens up a fraction of an inch and his grip on his sword tightens, his armor grinding together.

Tanith holds up a hand to bid him rest, even as she takes note of how this Tarnished effortlessly raised her Knight's hackles. Either the repurposing of the armor is what upset him... or this Tarnished is every bit as dangerous as Tanith expects. That said, there is only one option here. She must try to recruit him. As he comes to a stop a few feet away from her seated form, the former dancer offers him a kind smile in greeting and inclines her head in acknowledgment.