Chapter 23: Zorayas

A/N: More of our sweet snek cinnamon roll Rya/Zorayas. She's too good for this world.

-x-X-x-

Rya was on top of the world. She was over the moon! Even if it meant she'd dared to talk back to Lady Tanith, she couldn't help but be thrilled with herself. Lady Tanith... she hadn't even reprimanded her! That made Rya all the surer in her decision to defend her hero from the Lady. As much as she owed everything to Lady Tanith... she owed plenty to the Tarnished as well.

And she was right, too! She'd TOLD Lady Tanith that he would return. That her silent hero would not abandon them so quickly! She knew he had the stuff of champions, that he had the heart of a warrior and the true valor of a knight! He'd proven her right by returning after that first mission, successful at that. He was prospective no longer, but a Recusant in truth and deed instead.

It had only made sense to her, to mention her concerns to the Tarnished. Perhaps she should have spoken to the Lady instead, or one of the other members of the family, there at Volcano Manor. But she wanted an... outside perspective. So, she'd mentioned hearing things from behind the walls to her Tarnished, to see what he thought. Of course, she'd immediately felt self-conscious and tried to walk it back, but he'd placed a hand on her shoulder and shaken his head solemnly, all but telling her that he would look into it for her, or so she'd interpreted.

Of course, then he'd gotten his next assignment from the Manor, and had to leave again. But Rya knew he would be back soon. She knew he would return any day, successful and-

Her hero steps into the room, and Rya stiffens up, forced to contain her gasp of delight. He walks over to her with the bearing of a man who has once again proved victorious. The Volcano Manor's newest Recusant, successful once more. Oh, how Rya was beside herself with happiness. But she... she had to play it cool, of course. He was clearly here to talk to her, but no matter how happy she was to see him, she had to be careful, right?

"Brave Tarnished, what is your business here? I'm afraid this is not a guest room."

Looking down at him, as he in turn looks up at her with a raised brow, Rya frowns.

"What's that peculiar look on your face?"

Then it hits her, and she shudders in surprise and horror. He's looking UP at her... she's looking DOWN at him! In an instant, Rya, or rather, Zorayas, realizes she's not in her human form. No, she's in her Snakeborn form, her TRUE form.

"G-Goodness, am I still a serpent?"

Oh no... oh no, oh no, no, no! She's ruined everything!

"Oh, how dreadful... how dreadful indeed."

He'll hate her now! He'll despise her with every fiber of his being! She'd... been such a fool, to relax even here! After all, nobody else is to know her true form. Not even the rest of the Volcano Manor's family. Not even Bernahl and Patches know, and certainly not that other newcomer, the one who seemed too afraid to even leave the Drawing Room. She'd thought she was secure... but she'd forgotten how inquisitive her Tarnished could be.

But regardless, only Lady Tanith and her Knight knew, and... well, Lady Tanith was the one who taught Zorayas how to take the form of Rya the Scout in the first place. And the Lady's Knight wasn't talking...

She had considered telling her Tarnished about her true nature! Truly! It wasn't... it wasn't anything to be ashamed of, or so the Lady always said! But now he'd think she'd been intending to hide it from him! Now he'd hate her for lying to him!

Except... as Zorayas looks down at the Tarnished, at her hero, he's looking at her expectantly. No differently than usual, really. And that kindness in his eyes is still there, even as he offers her a smile. He... actually didn't mind? And here she was, making a fool of herself and moaning all silly-like.