Chapter 53: Queen Marika the Eternal

A/N: Marika at last.

Enjoy!

-x-X-x-

"Good."

The Lunar Princess seems almost smug, as she looks between Marika, her kindling maiden, and the new Elden Lord. The Eternal Queen cannot deny him his throne now. She would not dare. Even still, she refuses to play second fiddle to anyone. She did not fail to note the way Ranni had referred to Melina as her daughter, and she as her mother.

... Hmph, she supposed it was technically true, after a fashion. While Marika had not birthed Melina in the conventional way, she had still borne her out into the world. Indeed, how long had Melina remained a twinkle in Marika's eye? How many months, nay, years, had she crafted the kindling maiden before sacrificing so much of her focus in the fight against Radagon and the Elden Beast to send her out into the world?

Yes, in that way, Melina was in fact her daughter. Perhaps not a demigod, but no mere mortal either. She wasn't supposed to be alive at all by this point, and yet... clearly, the new Lord had taken a liking to her. If nothing else, her presence should make him more tractable to Marika's entreaties. Yes... in the end, she simply couldn't see how allowing Melina to attend them could be a bad thing.

And yet, Ranni treated it like her victory, as she ultimately settled her attention on the new Lord, bowing her head in his direction.

"Once thou'rt finished with the Queen, thou shall attend me... and my mother at the Academy of Raya Lucaria. It wouldst seem thee wish shall be granted after all, though I intended originally on leaving this all behind. Now, twould appear my plans must change."

For a moment, Marika is taken aback by the mention of Rennala. The Queen's nostrils flare, as she feels a strange stirring within her at the mere mention of the other woman's name. Rennala of the Full Moon, the Last Queen of Caria. To be frank, there should have been no emotional attachment there. It was not Marika's fault that Radagon had heeded the Elden Beast's call and returned to Leyndell to keep an eye on her as her new Consort.

And yet, she feels a smidgen of guilt for a brief second at even the merest mention of the other woman. How utterly inane. Shaking herself out of it, the Eternal Sovereign sniffs haughtily, calling out as Ranni turns to go.

"I wouldst not expect him any time soon, Princess Ranni. I suspect I shall be busy with the new Lord for quite some time."

Far from being upset by Marika's assertion, Ranni looks amused, if nothing else. She even has the temerity to chuckle, of all things!

"I wouldst expect nothing less, Queen Marika. I wish thee the best of luck. Thou'rt in for a treat. Thy Lord can be... quite the handful."

And then, because of course the brat HAS to have the last word, she vanishes from the heart of the Erdtree, disappearing and leaving the three of them alone. Forcing Marika to mull over Ranni's final words for a moment in silence. Figuring out what the other Goddess was saying wasn't entirely difficult, to be fair. After everything she'd seen by reaching back and gazing at the events that took place while she was trapped in the Erdtree, as well as what she'd witnessed with her own two eyes in the Tarnished' battle against the Elden Beast... yes, it was obvious he was quite the man.

Even still, the Lunar Princess thought he would be enough to tire Marika out in such short order? Pah! Don't make her laugh. Still, she would surprise Ranni by taking the warning as it came... and utilizing the gift Ranni had almost certainly not meant to give her.

Hm, the healing provided by the Tarnished had restored her body, but not her clothes. As such, she was currently clad in nothing but a simple wrap around her waist. The rest of her body was exposed... but then, as the Eternal Queen, what care did she have for modesty? Letting her gaze sweep over Melina and the new Lord, Marika smirks and spins around, beginning to lead the way out of the Erdtree's Heart.