010

⭒❃.✮:▹𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐧 𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫◃:✮.❃⭒

"Jack

"Jack.. when this ship docks, I'm getting off with you."

ˋˏ ༻✿༺ ˎˊ-

Collins emerges from another lift and runs to the one Jack and Katerina were in. The Operator is just closing the gate to go back up. Collins runs around the bank of elevators and scans the foyer... no Jack and Kat. He tries the stairs going down to F-Deck.

Katerina and Jack rushed out of the elevator and down the stairs, dodging multiple stewards at work. Jack ran into a steward with a cart causing dishes to tumble over. Giggles erupted from Katerina before he took her hand and they ran down the hall and leaned against the wall of a corridor of doors laughing.

"Pretty tough for a valet, this fella. Seems more like a cop." Jack panted.

"He's an ex-Pinkerton. Ben's father hired him to keep Benjamin out of trouble... to make sure he always got back to the hotel with his wallet and watch, after some crawl through the less reputable parts of town..." She explained through short breathes.

"Kinda like we're doin' right now—oh shit!"

Collins has spotted them from a cross-corridor nearby. He charges toward them. Jack and Katerina run around a corner into a blind alley. There is one door, marked "CREW ONLY" and Jack flings it open.

They enter a roaring fan room, with no way out but a ladder going down. "Now what?" Katerina yelled over the fans roaring, covering her ears.

"What?" he yelled back, causing them to go into another fit of laughter.

Jack latches the deadbolt on the door, and Collins slams against it a moment later. Jack grins at Katerina, pointing to the ladder.

They climbed down the ladder and it led them into the hot and foggy boiler room.

Jack took Katerina's hand, helping her as she jumped down from the ladder.

Jack and Katerina come down the escape ladder and look around in amazement. It is like a vision of hell itself, with the roaring furnaces and black figures moving in the smoky glow. They run the length of the boiler room, dodging amazed stokers, and trimmers with their wheelbarrows of coal.

"What are you two doing down here? It could be dangerous!" a very irish engineer yelled, causing the two to run in the opposite direction.

"Carry on! Don't mind us! Keep up the work, you're doing great! " Jack encouraged the engineers as the group worked and they ran by.

They run through the open watertight door into Boiler room six. Jack pulls her through the fiercely hot alley between two boilers and they wind up in the dark, out of sight of the working crew. Watching from the shadows, they see the stokers working in the hellish glow, shovelling coal into the insatiable maws of the furnaces. The whole place thunders with the roar of the fires.