004

⭒❃.✮:▹𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐠𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐮𝐩◃:✮.❃⭒

April 12, 1912

April 12, 1912

"Did you just.. roll your eyes at me?"

ˋˏ ༻✿༺ ˎˊ-

Katerina tiptoed through the dark house, the candle she held being her only source of light. "Daddy?" She called, creeping into the room her sick father laid in.

The sick man let out a ragged cough from his throat, covering his mouth into his elbow, "Hey there," He smiled at the sight of his daughter.

Katerina was worried for her father, he looked pale, his skin was all clammy, and he was drenched in his own sweat, only he was buried in the covers from the horrible cold-blooded fever chills.

"What are you doing up this late? What time is it?" he asked her quietly, careful not for her mother to hear.

"Nearly midnight.." Katerina whispered, she knew not to be awake, but she couldn't help but worry about her father.

"And why is it that your still awake?" He asked confused.

"I'm scared." She confessed.

Matthew looked at his daughter, who set the candle on the table beside him and crawled into the bed with him.

She was silent as she laid her head against her father's shoulder and he wrapped an arm around her.

He waited for her to speak, giving her his full attention.

"What if you die?"

Tears glassed in Katerina's eyes, threatening to spill as she made eye contact with her father.

"Oh, Katerina.." He whispered, brushing a stray tear from her cheek.

"I promise to you, I will fight my hardest against this illness for you. alright?"

The girl nodded, wiping her tears that had started pouring out. He smiled, "I love you, my dear Katerina. Promise me you'll never forget that."

Katerina got down from the bed, she looked at her father's eyes that once matched her oak brown ones. His were almost faded— pale.

He coughed, almost like he was struggling to breathe. "Promise me now, Katerina. Never let go of that promise, alright?"