Ch. 2: Adult Years/The Devil

Years pass. Now it's 1992 and you're twenty years old, now. You live on your own after being raised by your grandfather Cuphead who took care of you until you were eighteen. You've been on your own for two years, now. Your mom's still locked away in prison. She's got another two to three years at least.

You live in an apartment on the 10th floor in Inkwell Isle on island 3. Living with you is your roommate and best friend, Marcy Stageplay. She happens to be the great-granddaughter of your old neighbor, Sally Stageplay who passed away two years ago. You gave your condolences.

Right now, you and Marcy are in your living room, sitting on the couch and talking. The radio is on and playing Jeremy by Pearl Jam. Marcy says, "Hey, (Y/N). Guess what I've heard." You say, "What?" She says, "There's a new club opening up really soon here in Inkwell Isle. On this part of the island." 

You say, "What is it called?" She says, "It's going to be named Club Craze. I hear it's supposed to be a big thing, soon." You say, "You think maybe we should go once it opens up?" She smirks and says, "Um, yeah. They'll have music blasting in that place. Trippy drugs to take to possibly make it more entertaining. Booze of course. You name it. I'll be a blast. We're going." You smile and you say, "Nice." 

She says, "By the way, your uncle Greg's hot." You say, "Gross, Marcy. He's my uncle and he's married." She says, "Yeah, I know." You say, "I think living with my granddad was the best thing to happen. Now that I think about it, my mom was just such a shitty mom. When I was a kid, she got high and left me in a hot freaking car. I was lucky my uncle Mugs was nearby and saw me. He rushed over and got me out of there. She's robbed quite a few places. I don't get how she ended up that way. I mean yeah. My dad died a long time ago and so did my grandma Louisa. Her mom and my dad. But still." 

Marcy says, "My grandma Sally thought it was funny back then when you hit a baseball into her window. She wasn't mad. Just so you know." You say, "That's good. Rest her soul. She was a nice lady." She says, "Yeah. She was. I heard she made a deal with the devil himself, though." 

You say, "My granddad told me several stories about how he dealt with the devil when he was just a kid. He and uncle Mugs, both. Pretty sure this was in the 1930s. Like sixty years ago. They were both kids then. And I mean he was face to face with the demonic being, himself." 

She says, "Have YOU seen him, before?" You say, "No. At least not in person. Just stories my granddad told me." She says, "Gotcha. But yeah. Club Craze opens this Friday night. We're going Saturday night. You and me. I'll bring my buddy Porkchop with us." 

You say, "The potion shop owner?" She says, "Yeah. The guy sells potions and all after his late granddad, Porkrind. He can sure as hell sell some of that stuff to anyone at the club who will pay him." You say, "Good point. He is pretty damn good at selling shit and making a bargain with stuff. It's like he's keeping his grandpa proud." 

She says, "Hey. I've got a new cassette tape." You say, "What did you get?" She says, "Thompson Twins." You say, "Oh, right on. Thompson Twins?" She says, "Yeah. Here, I'll put it in and play it." She puts the cassette in and she presses play. You both sit back and you listen to a few songs while you talk.

**************************************************

Meanwhile, down in a fiery place. Possibly Hell. Well, it is Hell. There's screaming sounds in the distance, souls being tortured, etc. There are imps, demons, etc walking around. Making things upon Earth miserable. And so on.

The ruler himself is none other than... the Devil. He's in his castle and sitting back on his throne. He's a furry black being with hairless gray hands and feet, horns on his head, pointy ears, yellow eyes, a long nose drooping down a bit, a pointy tail, pitchfork in his hand, etc. Standing next to him is a little fat purple demon with tiny wings, yellow gloved hands, etc. That would be his henchman... Henchman.

Lately, the Devil required something more than he did collecting the souls of mortals upon the surface. It's been on his mind quite a lot, recently. Henchman looks over at him and says, "Uh, gee boss. You seem quiet today." 

The Devil says, "Something's on my mind, Henchman." Henchman says, "Collecting Cuphead's soul?" Devil says, "No no. As much as I wanted to, his soul for me to collect has expired. He's an old man, now. It's been nearly sixty years since the cup bet his soul to me. And I can't get Dice involved in any of it now. He died twelve years ago. His soul is here in Hell. That's not it, Henchman. It's... something else." 

Henchman says, "If you don't mind me asking, boss... What would that be?" Devil sits up and he says, "Henchman... I require a bride." Henchman says, "Aw gee. You do? You could have anyone you wanted, boss. You are the ruler of the underworld. You have control." 

Devil grins and says, "I've always counted on you, Henchman. Such loyalty. And you're right... I do have control. I can choose anyone I want. Have them fall for me in no time. There are plenty of demonic women down here, but I'm more interested in getting a woman upon the surface... And I think I know exactly where to find her, Henchman." 

Henchman says, "Where at, boss?" Devil says, "There's a new nightclub opening in Inkwell Isle, Henchman. Club Craze is the name. A lot of younger surface dwellers will be going. I get the feeling that I'll see two going in there, especially..." 

He grins and says, "One of those ladies for sure will be it. Be ready to come up there with me, Henchman. This Saturday night. Club Craze. I'll need you to accompany me." Henchman says, "You got it, boss. Saturday night." 

Devil grins and says, "I'll most certainly look forward to this. My bride to be will possibly be in that club that night... and I'll have her, no matter what it takes." He laughs. Henchman smiles. Devil stands up and says, "Come with me, Henchman. I'm feeling rather famished." Henchman says, "I'll get the imps to get your food, boss." Devil says, "Thank you." They walk out of there.