Ch. 4: Seeing and Hearing Things/Comfort

The next morning, you wake up from your bed. Marcy's in her room asleep. She ended up bringing home the plant guy she met at the club, last night. His name's Simon Carnation. He turns out to be a descendant of a man named Cagney Carnation who's still alive, but in a retirement home with Hilda Berg, Stella's grandma. So, Simon is Cagney's grandchild and is nearly the spitting image of him when HE was young.

You sigh and you say, "I... I feel weird all of a sudden. Was it something in my booze at the club?" You get up and you walk out of your room. You hear a sighing sound and you stop and look around. 

You look towards Marcy's bedroom door and you say, "Ease up on the love making, you two. Jeez. I get you admire each other, but tone it down." Little do you know, the sighing was NOT coming from Marcy's room.

You walk into your bathroom and you turn the light on. You walk to the mirror and you look at yourself. You suddenly hear a familiar voice from last night saying, "You are mine, (Y/N).~" You raise a brow and you look around. 

You say, "Sounds a lot like that Ol' Scratch guy at the nightclub. The guy who offered me a drink.... Wait." You look in the mirror and you say, "Did he slip something in my booze bottle to make me hear shit all of a sudden?"

You go to the bathroom and you flush. You wash your hands and you look in the mirror. You suddenly get a brief flash of yourself, but laying on a red silky cover in your bra and underwear. Exhausted look on your face. Almost... lust filled eyes. It disappears.

You say, "What the fuck was that? Was that... me?" You shake your head and you grab your toothbrush saying, "I'm seeing shit, too. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. But I swear that looked like me... after a night with someone. Weird. I never got that and I never will." 

You brush your teeth and you get done. You rinse and spit. You look at yourself in the mirror and you say, "I was lucky someone even hit on me, last night." You walk out. After you walk out, an image of the Devil appears in your mirror. He grins and says, "You have no idea how much I admire you, (Y/N). You are mine.~" He chuckles and his image disappears from the mirror.

You sigh and you say, "I'm getting some water. I'm seeing and hearing shit. What the hell did Ol' Scratch slip into my beer? I knew he had something to do with it." You hear chuckling and you sigh and say, "Just ignore it, (Y/N). It's all in your cup shaped head." 

You walk into your kitchen and you get a glass of water. You drink it and you sigh and say, "That's better." You step back and you sit in a chair at the table. You take another drink of your water. You say, "What the hell is going on with me? I'm going to talk to granddad about this. I'm sure he'll suspect something. He warned me to be careful at the nightclub."

You think about it and you say, "I really am like him, aren't I? He told me uncle Mugs was the voice of reason when he himself was the one who always got carried away. Let things get to him. He's dealt with... the devil himself. He... Wait... Was Ol' Scratch actually... him? No... Can't be." 

You get up and you look at your front door. You walk into your room and you change into your day clothes. You walk out and you walk to the front door. You look back and you yell, "Marcy! I'll be back!" You head out.

****************************************************

A moment later, you're at your grandpa Cuphead's house. You're both in his kitchen and he says, "(Y/N). What's wrong, honey? Did somethin' happen at the nightclub that I should know about?" You say, "Granddad... You've dealt with the most fiendish being in this universe as a child, right?" 

He says, "Yeah. I have. What's wrong? Y... You didn't see him, did ya?" You say, "Granddad... I met a guy at the club in a trench coat that went by Ol' Scratch. Sort of a British accent. Nice voice, though. Don't get me wrong. But... Now I'm suspecting that it's..." He gasps and he gets up saying, "No! Tell me he ain't gettin' to YOU!" 

You say, "It was him." He says, "Ah shit. No no no. Not you. Not my grandbaby! Did he do anything to make any deal with ya?" You say, "No, but... He offered me a drink and I accepted because I thought it was nice of him and for once, someone liked me enough to flirt with me. But since I woke up this morning, I've been seeing and hearing shit. Images. His voice. I'm sure it was from consuming the drink he offered me." 

He says, "My god. He's gettin' to ya." He looks at you and he says, "He ain't gonna take ya from me. Not you. I don't want you to have to deal with him. He may have seemed awkward at times. Flamboyant and all... but he's the Devil, honey. He's still evil. He rules the entire underworld. I'll give my own life to save ya from him if I have to." 

You get up and you say, "Granddad! No!" He sighs and he says, "(Y/N). Stay with me for a while. I've dealt with him in the past. Tolerated him, even. But he still has ways to make anyone miserable. He almost took Mugman from me a few times and even tried to sacrifice his life around me. I was lucky I started to man up and got back at him. Got Mugs back." 

You say, "But uncle Mugs didn't even make a deal with him like you did." He says, "No... but Devil took him from me to get back at me for messin' with him. Never mess with the Devil, honey." You say, "It's not like it was with you, granddad." He looks at you.

You say, "He seemed to be... flirting with me." He says, "He what?!" You say, "Yeah. I was flattered. No lie. But I didn't realize until just today that it was him." He says, "Ah shit." He approaches you and he pulls you in for a hug. You hug him back. 

He says, "Dammit all. Oh shit... I... I can't believe this." You say, "Granddad. It's gonna be alright. We'll work together on this. You've always been good to me." You kiss him on the forehead. He sighs and he holds you close saying, "Call your friend Marcy and tell her you're stayin' with me in the meantime. And tell her the truth. Since I got older, I've despised lyin' to others. I have my regrets. Your mom's in prison. My own daughter is locked away. Your father and your grandma, my wife died years ago. I can't see my own grandchild gettin' hurt. Y-you understand?" 

He has tears in his eyes. You hug him tight and you say, "Granddad. Hey... It's alright. You did always tell me to stay strong, no matter what." He sighs and smiles saying, "That a girl... I raised ya right." You comfort each other the rest of the time.