Ch. 5: A Visit from the Devil

It's 2pm. You're up in your old room at your grandpa Cuphead's house at the moment. You're on the phone in there. It's your old one that you kept there and it's on the nightstand. You're sitting on your old bed and you're talking to Marcy.

You say, "Marcy. That guy at the nightclub last night." "What about him?" "He referred to himself as Ol' Scratch. Now I know why." "Why is that? You're acting strange, girl." "Marcy. That was the Devil, himself." "What? You're shitting me!" "I shit you, not. that was him, Marcy. He offered me a drink and that was great and all. But I've been seeing and hearing things. I saw an image of myself in lingerie in the mirror, earlier after brushing my teeth." "Holy shit. He's gotten to you!"

You sigh and you lay back on the bed saying, "Marcy... take care of the apartment while I'm here. My granddad suggested that I stay with him." "Girl, how is that gonna make a difference? The Devil can make himself appear any place he wants." "Yeah, I know. I'm the one he's currently after. My granddad wants me to stay with him for a while." "You've got a good grandpa. It's like he's been there for you for years and still is. He loves you so much. I wish my granny Sally were still alive, today. She loved us so much." "Yeah. She was a nice lady. She never gave up her stage act until the day she passed." "Right? She was willing to keep up her passion for plays and all." 

You sit up and you say, "I'm telling you, Marcy. My granddad is still willing to tolerate the Devil, even as an old man now." "I mean he has, before. To the point where he wasn't even scared of the guy." "He told me he took the Devil's pitchfork at one point and used it for his own gain. Ha! How funny is that?" "How old was your grandpa at the time?" "He told me he was twelve and uncle Mugs was eleven. Because now he's seventy-two and uncle Mugs is seventy-one. Sixty years." 

She tells you this, "Be careful, (Y/N). I mean it." "It'll be okay, Marcy. Don't worry." You continue talking to Marcy and telling her everything and then you hang up. You sigh and you say, "What have I gotten myself into? How was I supposed to know that the guy flirting with me at the nightclub was the Devil himself?" You lean over and you turn your radio on. You get it on the song Alive by Pearl Jam and you lay back on your bed as you listen to that. You sing to it, as well.

*********************************************

Later on in the evening, you and your grandpa are in the kitchen as you eat supper. Your grandpa made spaghetti for dinner. You eat and you say, "Thanks for letting me stay with you. I called Marcy earlier and told her to take care of the apartment while I'm out for now." 

He says, "I want nothing more right now. I'm not lettin' ya face the Devil alone, honey. You understand?" You say, "Yeah." He says, "I've faced him before and I'll do it again if I need to. He's tried many times to take my soul after I lost to a couple of games." 

You eat your supper and you say, "I just don't get why it's me of all people, though." He sighs and says, "Part of me believes it's not the fact that he's tryin' to woo ya... It's without a doubt also because you're MY granddaughter. I've faced him then... you're bound to, now." 

You look at him and you say, "I'm surprised he didn't visit mom. Just saying. All the shit she's done and even towards me." He sighs and says, "He goes after those who face him." You say, "I didn't expect it to be him, though." 

He says, "I know. Believe me. I didn't realize that after playing a game of Soul Ball at the carnival those years ago that I was playing my soul away. I was good until the last moment. Your uncle Mugs and I had to try and outrun him. We got away. I've done a lot of things to outwit him." You say, "I guess we're just gonna have to get it done with, huh? Facing him, ourselves." He sighs and says, "Yeah." You and your grandpa continue talking and eating your supper.

After supper, you're outside. You and your grandpa. You suddenly see smoke appear and you see someone appear as well. He's a fuzzy black being with hairless gray hands and feet, a pointy tail, yellow eyes, pointy ears, horns on his head, a pitchfork in his hand, etc. You stand still and you realize who it is.

He grins and waves saying, "Hello." There was Ol' Scratch's voice like you heard at the nightclub. It was in fact, the Devil himself. Cuphead says, "Devil." Devil grins and says, "Ah, the brat cup. Cuphead, was it? Yes... I remember you. Now, look at you. An old man nearing his demise at some point." He looks at you and he says, "And... No surprise here. Henchman had informed to me that YOU happen to be Cuphead's granddaughter." 

You say, "Hi... Ol' Scratch from the club. So, it was YOU in the trench coat offering me a drink." He says, "Correct, my dear... That one was specially designed for you. I see you've been seeing and hearing things. I've spiked your beer, myself for you to see all of that." 

Cuphead says, "I knew one day I'd face ya, again." Devil says, "Glad you've been expecting me, Cuphead... but I'm not after YOU, anymore. No... I'm simply here for something you hold valuable to you. A certain... granddaughter of yours." 

Cuphead angrily points at him and yells, "You leave my granddaughter out of this, Devil! You ain't takin' her!" Devil grins and says, "Suit yourself... old man. But I'll be back. And (Y/N)." You look at him. He says, "You don't surrender yourself to me in a week... all of the citizens and everyone you love in Inkwell Isle... will suffer from my wrath." You gasp. 

He says, "You heard me right, (Y/N)... Be mine or all of Inkwell Isle suffers. Your precious old granddaddy especially. He's the one I've had to tolerate the most before. I'll bring pain upon him." You yell, "No!" 

He steps back and he grins and says, "I'm keeping my word. Be mine one week from now at this time... or others go through years of torture. You'll see a few examples really soon, my dear. Just you wait.~" He chuckles darkly and he vanishes in the smoke. You say, "Ah shit." Your grandpa holds you close and he says, "Come inside." He brings you into the house.