43

Harley.

I woke up to the sun hitting me in the face, making me groan, covering my head with a blanket.

I expected to feel Luke move, but was shocked when I didn't.

I sat up, seeing the room was empty.

I got up, quickly showering and putting a pair of biker shorts and one of Luke's shirts, putting on socks as well before making my way downstairs, seeing no sign of anyone.

I flipped the light in the kitchen on, immediately hearing loud yelling

"Happy birthday!"

I felt my heart immediately pounding

How the hell did they remember, no one at all had brought it up- including myself. When they planned the trip to Australia over the date of my birthday I thought I had managed to get away without celebrating.

Luke.

I could tell she was shocked.

We had, had this planned for months.

"How did you guys remember?" She smiled, letting me pull her into a hug tightly.

"What kinda adoptive dad would I be if I forgot your birthday?" I asked her, kissing her head firmly.

She hugged each of us, but we could all tell something was wrong, but she never said anything.

We fixed her favorite breakfast for her, letting her try Vegemite, which she was quite a fan of.

"So birthday girl, what do you want to do today?" Ashton was the first to ask, us all focused to her, making her clear her throat.

"It doesn't matter-" "come on, you get to pick." Michael urged her, us all knowing she had a list of things to do on her phone.

"Um" she unlocked her phone, scrolling through what I assumed was all of the ideas.

"What if we go explore all the street art and downtown and such?" She spoke.

"You didn't want to do something more fun for your birthday? Like they have bungee jumping, snorkeling, there's an endless amount-""we can just have a chill day, we still have so many days." She smiled.

So we all slowly gave in.

"Well, let's get ready."

Harley.

I absolutely hated celebrating my birthday.

It always reminded me of my family.

That's the last time I had a real birthday celebration.

But, I didn't want to ruin all of their plans, I knew they had to have been planning this for a while, so I needed to put on my brave face and just get today over with.

It was just another day.

I got dressed and joined the guys downstairs, them all seeming more and more excited for the day.

Let's get it over with.

Luke.

We spent the day exploring and taking many, many pictures.

Harley's attitude seemed to lift, which made us all dismiss her weirdness from this morning as just being shocked.

The day went fast and was genuinely fun.

We watched as Harley played hop scotch with a little girl in the street, the sunset complimenting the scene.

Soon we all went home, where Jack and Ben were setting up a cake and dinner.

As soon as we walked her into the cake scene, I noticed her smile dropped, but she was quick to put the smallest one back on.

Harley.

They all started singing happy birthday.

As I blinked, I could see my brothers, my mom and dad.

Stop.

I could feel the tears in my eyes.

Stop, you're going to ruin this for the guys.

"Happy birthday to you" they finished the song

"Make a wish, Harley!" I heard Hayden say.

Hayden?

I felt my body quickly look to where his voice came from, but Calum was there instead.

You're doing this to yourself.

"Harley?" I heard Ashton mumbled, feeling his hand touch my back gently.

"I'm so sorry" I spoke as I felt tears give out, sliding down my cheeks.

Everyone's happy faces dropped.

"I am- so, so sorry,"

Luke.

"I am- so, so sorry" she almost sobbed before quickly turning, dismissing herself down the hall.

"What the Fuck just happened?" Jack quickly asked.

"I'm going to go talk to her." I spoke, making my way to our room.

I walked in, watching her wipe her tears, immediately turning to me

"I'm so sorry I ruined it, I just can't" she cried as soon as she saw me.

"Baby girl, no- don't be sorry, just talk to me. What's wrong?" I asked, immediately pulling her into my hold as the guys slowly joined us.

She then quietly told us that she hates her birthday, because the last real birthday celebration she had was with her real family and her bothers.

We all immediately realized what we had triggered.

So that resulted in multiple group hugs and individual hugs, Harley trying to apologize multiple times- even though she had no reason to- and us all participating in a movie night, due to her request.

After the movie we all went our separate ways to bed and I exhaled lightly, holding the box I had gotten her for her birthday.

"So I know you don't like to celebrate, and I hope that one day I can bring a positive light to your day, but until then, I can't not get you a present." I saw the smallest smile come onto her face.

"You didn't have to get me anything." She mumbled as I handed her the box.

"Shush, open it." I smiled to her, seeing her smile back to me.

Harley.

I opened it, seeing a dainty gold necklace with the smallest H as a charm.

I felt my eyes immediately water

"If you don't like it, we can return it- I just know you like gold jewelry and the H is for Hemmings because I know you told me you liked the thought of that a few months ago-" I stopped his panic talking by hugging him tightly.

"I love it Luke, thank you."

I felt him exhale as he held me.

"Anything for you."