46

Harley.

The rest of the night, I felt pretty secluded, but I made sure I looked happy, just to keep all of the guys not questioning anything.

We ended up playing a few board games and we were soon all crammed into a car, heading to the famous dessert place.

"I can't wait for you to try the brownies, they are so good." Luke spoke to me, excitement laced in his voice.

We went inside, Luke instantly smiling like a child, pointing things out to me that he used to get as a kid.

"Okay so I'm getting you ice cream and a brownie-" "can we at least do the brownie to go, I'm literally so full" I laughed to Luke, seeing him roll his eyes, but thankfully- we didn't have to argue over it.

Him and I sat at a two seater table, watching everyone else pick their flavor ice creams and snacks.

"Tell me that's not the best fucking ice cream you've ever had." Luke spoke after taking a bite.

I took a bite and I had to agree

"That is, really fucking good." I laughed, seeing him smile.

After arguing with him for a solid three minutes over not wanting to take a picture that he was begging me to take, I gave in, holding the cup as he told me to, smiling for his picture, which he smiled back to as he looked to it.

Jack ended up pulling up a chair, joining our conversation, which eventually made Ben do the same.

Luke laughed loudly at a story that Ben was telling, making his mom and dad both join us, his dad happily standing behind me, listening to the conversation.

I looked up, seeing his mom looking directly at me, which instantly made me uncomfortable.

So I simply avoided eye contact, taking this moment to just focus to everyone else.

We took several pictures of all of us together and just as Luke asked a worker to get a picture of everyone together, his moms voice rang, "or Harley could just do it, I want one with just my babies."

I understood what she was saying.

Although it hurt my feelings at times, I understood that I came into her youngest sons life out of no where and she had barely any clue of who I was before this or what happened to me. I understood her concern and I took no offense to her saying I should take the picture, but immediately the mood dropped

"No Liz, Harley needs to be in the picture." Luke's dad spoke firmly, myself feeling so awkward that I was wishing to be anywhere but here.

I looked to Luke- seeing him staring to his mom.

"I can take the picture-" "no Harley" Luke spoke firmly, giving me the smallest nod.

Through the awkwardness; the poor worker took the picture and we all stood in almost unison, trying to leave.

The ride home was almost silent.

We could hear Luke's mom and dad whispering in the front, making everything almost ten times worse considering they were discussing what she had said about the picture.

We all walked inside.

"Grab your stuff and head outside with Jack, I'll be out shortly." Luke spoke, kissing my head firmly.

Luke.

My mom and I had not been on good terms my entire visit here.

I was hoping this family bonding night would make her realize that Harley was in no way a threat.

But instead, she was continually sending me texts asking me not to bring her.
She was making smart ass comments everytime someone talked about Harley, or just interrupting the conversation to change the subject.

But my breaking straw was trying to not include her in our family picture.

"Luke, your dad and I talked about it- I didn't mean any offense. You are all just my boys and I wanted a picture with my boys." She spoke, but I stopped her.

"Harley lived in a happy family for a long time, she had two brothers, and her parents gave her up because they wanted all boys, she was abandoned and left out because she was a girl! After spending years with her biological family!" I tried not to yell, but I knew it was most likely coming out at as yells.

"I will not put her in a situation where she ever feels unloved, unwelcome or left out. If you continue to do what you are doing, you are going to push me away." I told her calmly.

"I love you, you know I love you. But I love Harley and I promised to make her life better than it was and I will not continue to surround her with any negativity of any kind." I spoke.

"So we leave day after tomorrow. You come to tell us goodbye and be cordial, or you do not come at all. I love you, have a good night." I spoke, kissing her cheek before leaving without hearing her say another word

I heard my dad speak as I walked towards the door, making me stop

"Son" he exhaled, pulling me into a hug

"I'm proud of you."