9

"Like check ups- like doctors, you're all supposed to get those yearly, it's state required" he went on a rant, making me sit on my bed, the springs in the mattress making god awful noises.

He winched at the sound of the mattress before returning to his serious state.

"Not in the past two years that I've been here" I let out a shrug.

"Jesus Christ, there's probably so many health violations in here, no telling how many kids are sick-" "when kids are sick she takes them to the doctors" I spoke.

"You don't always know when kids are sick, there's some things hidden, Harley" he groaned.

"I'm going to get my boss to approve a health check as soon as possible" he spoke to no one in particular, although I was the only person in the room with him.

His eyes met mine, and he sighed.

He came to me, sitting beside me and immediately groaning.

"You sleep on this mattress?"

"Yep" I spoke back quickly.

"I'm pretty sure the springs are hitting me straight in the ass" he spoke, making me let out the smallest laugh.

"You become immune to it" I shrugged.

He ran his fingers through his hair.

"No- I'm not letting you stay here- come on" he spoke, grabbing my hand to pull me to my feet.

"You know I can't leave with you, Luke" I spoke carefully.

"I'll adopt you if I have to, this isn't healthy conditions-" "and there's a hundred and twenty other kids in these same conditions, Luke" I spoke.

"And I'll get the state to come fix it for them, but I don't want you in here even another night" he spoke.

These kids needed me

As much as I wanted to go live in their dream life

I knew I couldn't.

"I'm not letting you adopt me" I spoke quickly, seeing shock spread across his face.

"Harley, I'm trying to help you-" "Thats called pity adoption" I spoke.

"It's not pity, it's called care." He spoke firmly.

"Luke" I spoke firmly.

"I've been in this exact health condition for two years now, I am more than okay." I spoke firmly, watching him sigh, rubbing his forehead.

"Text me if you aren't, I'll come at any hour of the night- I swear" he spoke, jotting his number into a notebook on my window seal.

"I will" I lied

I wouldn't bother him for anything.

"I'm not going to be able to stop thinking about this shit hole until it's safe now" he signed, pulling me into a tight hug.

"We will be okay, I promise you"