16

"I do not want to take you back here" I mumbled as I pulled into the foster home's driveway, looking to Harley, who stared to the house.

"I'll be fine" she spoke with the smallest smile.

I walked he inside, although she begged me not to.

We opened the door to immediately hear a baby crying.

"Harley- can you get her- it's a newborn, she's on bottle formula, read the directions on the box" the foster mom yelled, running to a different area of the house.

I immediately followed Harley, knowing baby formula wasn't the easiest to fix- especially when a baby was screaming the whole time.

"I'll fix the formula, try to calm the baby" I spoke to her slowly, seeing her nod.

I quickly fixed and warmed the formula according to the directions, shaking the bottle as I brought it to the living area, where the crying had ceased.

I walked in, seeing Harley's back towards me as she held the baby, swaying lightly, talking to her quietly.

I got closer, seeing the baby staring to Harley as Harley spoke, "look at those pretty eyes"

I smiled at the innocent scene, carefully putting the bottle in the babies mouth, her eyes never looking away from Harley.

She drank silently, making Harley look to me.

"Do you like babies?" I asked her slowly.

"No" she immediately responded, catching me off guard.

She held and talked to the baby like she surely liked them.

"I don't like anything that can't wipe its own ass and nose" she finished slowly, making me let out a dry laugh.

"But I feel for her" she looked back to the baby.

"She'll get adopted soon, because she's still a baby and everyone wants babies- but still, she wasn't wanted by the one person that she needs right now" she spoke slowly, never stopping her swaying.

"I don't know, it's just sad" she mumbled lightly.

"It is" I nodded in agreement.

Once the baby finished drinking, I slowly showed Harley how to burp her.

"Just pat right there." I spoke after carefully positioning the baby on her chest and shoulder.

I watched her as she patted the baby gently, ya both waiting calmly.

After not getting any burps, I ended up taking the baby, trying different things to make her burp.

After just rubbing her back for several minutes she burped lightly, immediately laughing after- making us both laugh with her.

I held the baby for a few seconds, both Harley and I watching her as her eyes searched the room, blinking every few seconds.

And just as Harley's head leaned on my shoulder, completely enjoying the moment- my pager went off.

"Duty calls" Harley laughed as I groaned.

"I'll come get you in the morning" I spoke, carefully handing her the baby.

"You don't have to-" "no argument" I spoke, giving her a quick hug, making sure the baby was okay before leaving.

Harley.

The lonely feeling slowly came back as the house went quiet.

"Just me and you" I mumbled to the baby, who looked to be falling asleep.

I watched as her eyes completely shut, her body relaxing completely.

"You fed her?" Veronica asked as she entered the room.

"Yes" I spoke slowly.

She nodded, exhaling.

"Okay- well, put her down, remember- not too much physical attention"

I rolled my eyes as she left the room

"I'm so sorry you have to live this life too"