17

To say the least

I was up all night taking care of the crying baby.

I woke Veronica up twice, almost begging her to help, but she told me to just go lay the baby back down- but I couldn't just lay in bed listening to a baby crying.

That was heartless.

It was four in the morning, I had yet to have even a minute of sleep.

I was watching the baby as he eyes slowly started shutting, but she continued to fight her sleep.

I was on the floor of my room, holding her in my legs, trying not to make any movements that would wake her up anymore than she already was.

She sucked on the pacifier in her mouth- the struggle to fight her sleep getting harder and harder for her.

Her eyes finally shut, making me exhale.

After ensuring that she was asleep, I stood, taking her to her room, laying her in a crib before leaving, feeling relief at the thought of getting atleast an hour of sleep.

I laid down, pulling the sheets over my arms.

Just as I let my body relax

The crying started again

And I almost started crying with her

To not wake the other kids, I ran to get her- knowing they needed more sleep than I did anyway.

I went back to my room with her, sitting on the floor again.

I held her on my thighs, putting the pacifier back into her mouth.

"Please go to sleep"

Luke.

Calum and I followed each other to the foster home to bring the kids to school- something Veronica should be doing.

We had state workers coming in to evaluate the staff and house tomorrow, we had plans of everything that was about to go down- we were excited to say the least.

We went to the door, knocking and seeing Veronica fling the door open.

"Hi, thanks for coming again, most of the kids are ready, you may just have to get one or two out of their rooms, there's five altogether- Harley is the only high schooler." She spoke simply, allowing us to step inside.

We rounded up the first four, sending them with Calum- which left just Harley, who I couldn't find in the main rooms of the house, making me a bit suspicious, because she's normally helping out in the mornings.

I went to her room, opening the door and immediately seeing her sitting upright beside her dresser- sleeping with her head against the dresser, the same sleeping baby laid in her thighs, pillows keeping her in place and comfortable.

Must not have been a good night.

I slowly took the baby, carrying her to Veronica, who was eating breakfast.

"Harley's coming to work with me today, because it's more than noticeable to me that she didn't sleep. I'll excuse her from school" I spoke simply, watching her nod as she took the baby from me.

"Whatever you think"

I went into Harley's room, slowly talking to her and rubbing her arms gently.

As her eyes slowly opened I talked to her tired body.

"What time did you get to sleep?" I asked her.

She looked to a clock in her room.

"Maybe thirty minutes ago" she almost whispered, her energy lower than I've ever seen it.

"Come on, I'll take you to work with me and you can sleep in my on-call bed"

She certainly didn't argue.

I carefully guided her out of the house where I drove her quiet body to the hospital.

Staying buckled, she leaned onto my arm as I drove, her head resting against me silently as I stayed still to support her.

We got to the hospital, where I had to wake her again, seeing her immediately trying to wake herself up more.

I walked her into the hospital, feeling her arm hold my own.

"So you have an option of my couch or the on-call room, only difference is in the on-call room doctors may be coming in and out" I explained to her slowly.

"Your couch" she spoke, making me nod.

I wanted to be able to make sure she was okay anyway.

I set her up a pillow and blankets, covering her as she laid down.

"Just tell me if you need anything" I spoke to her.

"Thank you" she mumbled quietly.

Within ten minutes of doing paperwork I noticed she was asleep.

I just prayed no patients wanted to have a meeting today- I had no idea how I would explain the teenage girl sleeping on my office couch.

Calum soon ran in with paperwork, freezing at the sight of her.

"She's sick?" He asked, immediately going to her, touching his hand to her forehead.

"No- no, she just didn't get much sleep"

"But she feels like she has a fever"