20

An hour later- to my disappointment, Harley trudged from down the hall tiredly, wearing my jacket.

Not that I was disappointed to see her- I just wanted her to get more sleep than she had.

Never noticing us, I watched her drag herself into the kitchen, where Veronica was preparing breakfast.

"I would say she's tired" one of the state workers laughed out, making me slowly nod in agreement.

"Fucking exhausted" I mumbled.

I soon stood, going to join them- where I saw Harley helping her fix breakfast and plated.

"Hi" Harley spoke once she saw me, making me smile.

"Hi" I responded, looking to what they were doing.

And soon, the madness began

All the kids started waking up and waking each other up.

The house was soon filled with crying, yelling, laughing and spilling food and drinks everywhere.

I watched Harley as she held a child on her hip- pointing two others to the sink to wash their hands.

All while Veronica sat at the table with a few others- enjoying her meal.

"Who's actually in charge here? The girl or Veronica?" A state worker asked me, making me laugh lightly.

"That's why we called you guys"

We ended up helping Harley with the kids, getting them all seated and eating.

After breakfast, veronica got toys out for them, making them all burst out and play, some going into the fenced in backyard, some staying inside making Veronica and Harley continually have to walk to check on them.

"Harley, will you start cutting the fruit for lunch so I can go ahead and make sure everyone made their beds?" She asked, making Harley nod, immediately taking over.

Michael stayed to help Harley as I walked with everyone else behind Veronica, watching her check everyone's rooms.

Harley.

I was nervous.

Veronica had told us we had to pass this or else we were getting shut down, and that thought scared me.

Where the hell would they put all of us?

I cut strawberries as this thought ran through my head.
I could hear Michael talking to a few of the kids in the living room.

Just as I heard the workers and the guys coming back with Veronica- I cut my fucking hand.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck" I panicked, grabbing a rag and quickly holding it into my hand.

I stood there for a moment, panicking- wondering how the fuck go handle this.

"Hey Har, hows the fruit-" Veronica stopped speaking when she saw my blood.

"What the fuck did you do?" She whispered quickly.

"It's a dull knife." I shot to her, seeing her panicking just as much as I would.

"Go wrap your hand and hide it from everyone, we will fix it tomorrow" I certainly didn't argue- I knew she was pissed.

Almost ran out of the kitchen- thankfully avoiding everyone where I ran into a bathroom, locking myself in it.

I got the first aid kit out, pulling the rag away- seeing a huge cut- which immediately made me nauseous.

I stood there gagging for a minute- trying not to look at it.

I had to suck it up.

I had to wrap it.

I immediately went to wash the blood off my hand, but I soon realized- water on an open cut burns.

I jumped around silently for a second, praying it would stop burning.

I sat on the toilet, watching blood run down my arm.

What the fuck am I supposed to do.

Once gaining my composure, I slowly started wiping the blood from around it, seeing my hands shaking.

I looked to the cut- seeing my hand basically gaping open, blood continually running from it.

I needed stitches, no doubt.

I wiped it again, starting to slowly wrap it.

Just as I finished, I heard a knock.

"Harley?" Luke's voice spoke.

Panic all over again.

"Y-yeah" I spoke quickly.

"You okay?" He asked me.

"Yeah- yeah- just need a minute" I tried my hardest not to sound suspicious.

I quickly threw all of my trash away, putting the first aid kid up before opening the door, seeing Luke and two of the state workers.

"Hey" I smiled quickly.

"You okay?" Luke asked me.

"Yeah." I spoke, keeping my hand in his jacket pocket to hide the wrap.

"Okay- I think everyone's starting to eat lunch-" "o-okay" I nodded, seeming him nod for me to follow him.

Right as we passed my room, he pulled me in, shutting the door behind me.

"What?" I played dumb.

"What's wrong?" He questioned.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Veronica just got extremely suspicious and threw away the strawberries you were cutting- something happened." He insisted.

"They were soggy" I shrugged.

"She started acting weird because the strawberries were soggy?" He questioned.

"She's a weird human" I spoke as a fact.

"Okay- then why were you in the bathroom forever-" "I'm on my period" I lied.

"You were on your period two weeks ago-" "it's a little creepy that you remember the week I was on my period." I mumbled.

"I only remember because I brought you snacks and stuff- don't make me seem weird" he quickly shot, making me laugh quickly.

"I'm serious, stop laughing- what the hell is going on" he was so suspicious.

"Luke I'm serious, the strawberries were bad, Veronica is weird and I was just going to the bathroom" I spoke- pure seriousness.

"I don't believe you."

"Welp"