Chapter 1 (Spidey Senses)

Renata

If there was one thing Renata loved, it was a fat nap. Hell, don't get her started on the glory of a full night's rest. Something about closing her eyes and allowing her body to recharge was always just so wonderful to her. It was a treat for actually making it through the day.

But even Renata had to admit slumber sometimes had downsides to it. For one, getting to sleep was a challenge in itself. Secondly, nightmares sucked. Third being how ridiculous it was that laying in a slightly wrong position would guarantee a sore neck for the next forty-eight hours. The worst was being awakened suddenly—she had been doing it in the middle of the night, every night for the past week. 

Her body knew something she didn't. Goosebumps would spread across her in chilling waves, like someone had turned up the AC just to fuck with her. She'd sit up, gasping, looking around with wild, terrified eyes, ones that would dart around, desperate to confirm whether the room was darker than usual.

It was the reason she looked like a complete fool in her granny panties and tank top, wielding her bright pink, hand-held taser.

Every light was on in her apartment. Her skin still crawled even after inspecting every room. Not quite satisfied but knowing there was nothing else to do, she switched every flip down, enveloping her home in darkness beside the cute night light she just purchased the day before.

Either she was losing her mind or some psycho was fucking with her hardcore. Her spidey senses weren't going off for nothing. Still, neither sounded very appealing.

After returning to her bedroom, she looked at the clock on her small bedside table and saw it was a quarter after midnight. Renata felt completely useless and unlocked her phone. She decided to update Diamond, who would undoubtedly make her feel at least a smidge bit better.

RENATA: It happened again...

The response was immediate. Renata expected nothing less from her number one girl.

DIAMOND: WITH

DIAMOND: WTH*

DIAMOND: We gotta get you to the doctor

DIAMOND: Something is clearly wrong bestie

Renata couldn't contain the small smile on her lips. She could hear the concern from Diamond, who was convinced these were signs of some kind of health issue. Well, it's not that it wasn't a possibility, but this felt different than anxiety.

RENATA: Your shift done?

DIAMOND: Almost. You caught me during a break

DIAMOND: I have another dance in 15

DIAMOND: After that, I could be convinced to take off early O.o

Renata looked down at her attire. The drive down to Nope Corner would be at least twenty minutes, and that's if the city traffic wasn't complete trash, which was just about as rare as a sparkling green elephant floating in outer space.

RENATA: Need a ride??

DIAMOND: Sleep over?