Chapter 16 (Broke the Tension)

Renata

Nirvi cut a disproving look at her son. "Ignore him. My son thinks he is funny." Right as she spoke, four people came out with plates of food and set them in front of each seated person. The meaty, smoky scent of pink steak with charred edges made her mouth water. The huge helping of mashed potatoes was obviously cooked with garlic, another unmistakable scent. A simple green vegetable to top it all off. Yum. 

The gorgeous plate before her almost made her forget Tahoma's poor attempt at a joke. She looked across at an amused Rocio. "So, your diet hasn't changed?"

Rocio shook her head. "We don't eat food too often. It's more of an indulgence than a necessity. Our bodies just kind of make use of the nutrients but it doesn't need it. The excess leaves the normal way, if you're catching my drift. As for blood, all we need is what we already have in our body. Fresh blood from others is, well, not good for us."

"Yes, that is true," Nirvi agreed, "so, please, dig in without the worry we're experiencing bloodlust all the while." Nirvi quirked up a brow as though amused with her own words. "If you need a second serving, there is plenty."

Renata felt eyes boring into her from the side. From the person who she just knew had those most wicked look on his face. Instead of entertaining him, she focused on what was important: steak, mashed potato, and asparagus. She used the steak knife and fork and got to work. To her surprise, the next following moments were quiet, only interrupted by small sounds of the utensils hitting the plates or the cups being set back down on the table. She appreciated not being interrogated while enjoying the juices and flavourful forkfuls.

On the edge of her consciousness, she was aware that they were watching her more than their own dishes.

Once she was just about done, Nirvi spoke up, "I must confess, I am very curious about you, Renata—I hope you don't mind the shift in conversation."

Renata shook her head. She knew this was coming. "It's better to get the semantics out of the way." She wiped her mouth before folding the napkin and putting it off to the side. "You want something from me. I want something from you."

Nirvi's intelligent gaze enlightened with a different kind of spark. This miniscule detail was Renata's only way of realizing she had caught Nirvi off guard. "What is it I want from you, Renata?"

"As of right now?" Renata sighed. "The most immediate answer is answers. You want to know who I am, what I am. You want to figure out if you can use me, for whatever gain."

Nirvi looked impressed, as much as a regal woman such as herself could display such a thing. "Rocio, you said she was clever," her eyes briefly flitted toward Rocio only to return toward Renata. "But you're also brave. That's a dangerous combination."

Renata felt like a chess board that had plopped down between them. "So, I'm right. You want to use me."

Rocio tried to interject, "Nata—"

Nirvi raised a hand and her sister quieted. Renata didn't like that immediate obedience. "You're partially right. From what I've come to learn, we both seek similar answers. Because of how important you are to Rocio, the best course of action was to reach out to you and offer asylum. Considering you accepted despite not talking to Rocio in years or having any idea who I am, I have assumed we are your best course of action as well."

"For now," Renata couldn't stop her stubbornness from showing. "And you're right. Rocio and I haven't talked in years. And I don't know you, and I don't trust you."

"Yet here you are."

Renata sighed. "Here I am."

Nirvi broke the tension with a smile. "Nonetheless, we are happy to have you here. While you feel us out, please make yourself at home. We'll start training and collecting information tomorrow—after you've gotten a good night's rest. Does that work for you?"