Chapter 33 (Between Her Thighs)

Renata

Renata stood in the small mirror of the bathroom and finished detangling her hair. After everything, there wasn't any time for her to do her hair routine to keep her curly locks in line. She pulled half the semi-dry bunch and twisted it into a knot on the top of her head, leaving the rest to fall. She wrapped her head in the blue, green, and purple silk scarf.

She leaned forward and hated how puffy her face looked from all the crying.

She pulled on the loose t-shirt and underwear right as she heard more knocking at her door. Her heart pounded at the idea of her sister or best friend coming back for round two.

Her anxiety lessened when she heard Tahoma's deep, calming voice, "Renata, it's me."

She wasn't sure if she was the best company, but he was here, and she didn't want to be alone. She raced over toward the door and pulled it open. There he was in all his irresistible, charming glory. He must have just taken a shower, as his tanned skin was flushed red and his long raven hair was wet, dripping slightly onto his white v-neck. His sympathetic face revealed their blow-up was loud enough for many to hear, especially by the enhanced senses of the undying.

She stepped to the side, allowing him in. She studied his wide back as she shut the door and sensed they were walking a thin line together. "At least tell me you didn't know."

He shook his head as he turned toward her. "I didn't. We're close, but I had no idea. I didn't even think she was ready to date so soon after Awe." He looked around. "I thought you'd want some space before I came to check on you–plus, I stunk."

Renata smiled. "Yeah, I'm sure you were eager to be around my blubbering ass."

He came closer, not indulging in their banter like he usually did. "I'm sorry that happened, Renata."

She swallowed as he continued to study her. "Thanks–I just feel so betrayed." She crumpled as soon as he took her into his arms. His strong arms encircled her and she finally felt safe after being put through the wringer. She inhaled his clean scent and allowed herself to cry more, though she'd surely cried enough. It was different crying into a caring embrace.

"It's going to be okay, Renata," he soothed her.

"How could they do this?" she asked, desperate to have answers. "They're both fucking liars. Diamond–she acted like she wanted to be with me, then she goes and fucks my sister two seconds after. I don't understand either of them."

Tahoma sighed and continued to comfort her. "I don't agree with them or their timing. The heart's a tricky thing, Renata. It acts dumb all the time."

She sniffled. "I feel so stupid for even caring about this with the world falling down around us, but it just hurts, and I can't ignore it."

"You are more than justified to feel how you do."

"What should I do?"

"Whatever you want, they're clearly doing the same."

She appreciated that he wasn't trying to be completely neutral in this conversation. She laughed at his spiteful response. She eyed his handsome face. His smooth tan skin. His vibrant red eyes. His dark brows and eyelashes. His gorgeously prominent nose. Her heart pounded for a new reason. "How about you?"