Chapter 10 (Prince to Prince)

Diamond

          Diamond felt like maybe she was teasing the borderline of 'crazy ex girlfriend' as she keyed into Renata's apartment—she did send a text as warning, but considering there had been no reply, it was possible the message had not been seen. The last time she tried to surprise her, Diamond found her best friend dead on the kitchen floor. This didn't exactly comfort her as she opened the door.

          "Ren?" She looked around the empty apartment. It was midnight, so shadows filled every corner and crevice. Maybe Ren wasn't home yet from the visit with the mysterious person she mentioned? The door slammed shut behind her, making her jump.

        Diamond was intrigued as she heard a toilet flush in the distance. It originated from the guest bathroom. There was a flick of a switch and the light underneath the door went off. She watched as the door opened, revealing a face she recognized, or at least slightly.

          Diamond reached over to turn on the ceiling light in the front room, so she could get a better look. Whoever this was, she was taller than Ren. They shared similar face shapes and builds. Her eyes were sharper and her mouth was slightly thinner. Her ears poked out as the long black locs were piled on top of her head. The question left Diamond's mouth before she could stop herself. "Who are you?"

          The woman arched her brow. "I'm Rocio, her sister. I didn't realize she had a girlfriend, that complicates things."

          Diamond's mouth went dry. The pound of her heart worsened. Sister? "I don't understand. She said she grew up in foster care..."

          Rocio finished drying her hands and discarded the hand towel on the sink before shutting the door behind her. She settled her fingers on her waist. All of her curves were wrapped in tight-fitting leather. "You can have siblings in foster care FYI. Well, technically we're cousins, not that it matters...She hasn't mentioned me, eh?" Rocio tsked. "Nata can always be so sensitive. I haven't given her enough attention these days—"

       Diamond felt like Rocio sounded similar to Renata, not necessarily by her voice but the pacing of her sentences and where she chose to pause. While Diamond mostly believed in their blood relation, it didn't put a halt to her suspicion. "What are you doing here? How did you even get in here?"

          Rocio seemed stunned by being cut off, although quickly shifted back to the appearance of cockiness and complete ease. "Funny, I was going to ask you the same thing." Her boots clicked against the wood as she came closer. "You know, I really wish she would have told me she had a girlfriend."

         Diamond folded her arms and stayed right where she was. "I'm not her girlfriend." She didn't mean to sound so defensive, but it was too late.

          Rocio raised an eyebrow. The amusement in her dark eyes and in the slight curl in her lip said 'I don't believe you for one second'. "You're not? What's with the key, then? You're not a psycho are you?" A frown marred her features like she was actually considering that. "Fuck, I don't have time for that—"

         Diamond squinted her eyes in disbelief. "I'm her best friend. I've always had a key." She shifted the bag on her shoulder, as though it could protect her from the sudden interrogation. "Why hasn't she ever mentioned you?"

          Rocio shrugged and relaxed once more. But Diamond wasn't fooled as Rocio's gaze tracked her every move. "Like I said, I've been a bit lackluster in the 'hey, Nata, how are you?' department. But I'm here now."