Chapter 31 (Happily Ever After)

Keone

He held his hands up in surrender as Diamond continued to spit well-deserved insults his way.

His mind was reeling, still adjusting to the reality that not only had he rebelled against the grim reaper, but because of Renata's scuffle with Angel, Keone somehow ended up human. His blood rushed through his veins. His bones were brittle, and if they broke, it would take months instead of hours to heal. His senses were dulled down, and he didn't understand how anyone got through their days in this fragile state.

He couldn't decide how to feel. Doing anything useful would prove a good distraction. Right then, he was the best qualified to care for Diamond's bite mark, but she wasn't having it.

"Listen, I'm not his number one fan either," Renata addressed Diamond as they held each other on the plane. Keone sat himself across from them with medical supplies on his lap. "But you are bleeding, and you need to get this taken care of before it gets worse."

Diamond glared at Keone who decided to stay quiet. "Fine, but don't drink my blood or anything like that–got it, sicko?"

Renata sighed. "Diamond, he won't."

"Oh, so you trust him now?"

"No, it's not like that!" Renata gritted out, clearly getting frustrated. "He's human...so is Rocio." Tahoma and Rocio had been off to the side with their own hushed conversation, but they paused as soon as the latter was mentioned.

Diamond froze. "What?"

Renata softened her voice, and Keone realized at the same time that Diamond must have been clueless to what had globally unfolded in the last half day. "Considering you were fighting for your life, and you're currently fighting off the drowsiness of blood loss–and by the look on your face, I'm going to say it's safe to assume you don't know what's going on in the world."

"There was this explosion of wind or something," Diamond recalled with furrowed brows, "and then Chika turned into," her eyes darted toward Keone, "a monster."

Renata rubbed Diamond's arm. "Here, we'll explain everything while he patches you up, okay?" Diamond's gaze flitted toward Rocio, and she seemed to do this without realizing it. Keone followed her line of sight until he saw the yearning on Rocio's face, how it reflected the desperation in Diamond's reddened eyes. His own jumped back to Renata, who also watched this exchange closely, trained on the two like a hawk. Distrust and anger brewed in her eyes, but her mouth screwed shut.

This is not good.

Keone quickly ran into the bathroom and washed his hands. Once he returned, Diamond looked more settled with the idea of him being in her personal bubble.

She cleared her throat and had already pulled her shirt off. "Okay, let's just get this over with."

Keone set the supplies to his side and disregarded the strange exchanges that just took place. He laid out what he needed in the order he would be using them. "First, we'll clean it. Then we'll stitch it. Rocio?"

She jumped to attention. "What can I do?"

"If there's any alcohol, I'd gather it. We're gonna need it."