Chapter 11 (Magic Trick)

Renata

          She took two stairs at a time, crushing through the eight flights like it was nothing. The chemicals responding to her fear and anxiety allowed her to ignore her struggling lungs and aching muscles. She practically tore the floor's exit door off its hinges and booked it toward her apartment.

          The front door popped open, revealing a wide-eyed Diamond. Renata was unable to stop her rapid speed and plowed into her best friend. They tumbled onto the ground, the impact not quite registering as they both shouted in surprise and relief.

          "Are you alright?" Renata demanded, scanning Diamond from head to toe, finding nothing out of place. She backed off of her, not quite strong enough to rise off the ground yet.

         Diamond nodded, eyes shiny with unshed tears. "I'm okay. Just a little freaked out." She rose and shut the front door. She locked it, almost laughing as she did so for whatever reason. It felt like a strange time for Diamond to be amused.

          Renata was thoroughly confused. "Your texts scared the shit out of me. What happened?"

          Diamond got back on the ground to be near her. "Is Rocio your sister?"

          Renata frowned. "Yes. How do you know about her?" Renata looked around like Rocio was going to jump out of one of the rooms.

          "I came to see you, to make sure you were okay, and she was just here. I mean, she looked right at home." Diamond's eyes darted around like she was thinking the same thing.

          Renata was trying to catch up. "Rocio was here, in my apartment? But she wasn't supposed to be here for—wait, how did she get in?" She was trying to remember if she locked the door, but of course she did. She didn't recall Rocio being a lock-picker.

          A shudder went through Diamond. "She told me to tell you something."

       "Okay." Renata was going mad with impatience but tried her best to not let any hint of it show. While Diamond seemed physically okay, she was still shaken up by whatever took place.

          "I don't remember much, honestly. She just said to ditch the bastard, and that she was..." Diamond hesitated, worrying about something.

          Renata took a very deep breath. "It's okay, Diamond. It's gonna be okay." She put a hand on Diamond's shoulder, giving a gentle squeeze, and leaned in closer. "Talk to me."

        "None of it made sense." A funny feeling began to grow in the pit of Renata's stomach. Not quite apprehension. Not quite fear. Not quite anything. Maybe a mix of it all. Either way it was heavy and foreboding. "She said she was undying, and then...she did something to her eyes, and they were red. They were fucking red, Renata, I swear on everything."

        Renata sat back in disbelief. "No. That..." Considering who she'd just met with red eyes, there was only one conclusion to come to. But...it didn't make a lick of sense. Renata grew up with Rocio, watched her throughout it all. Vampires don't grow up, that's the whole point, right?

          Diamond must have been watching the gears turn in Renata's head. "What does any of that mean? How can anyone be undying?"