Chapter 21 (An Unknown Time)

Keone

Keone looked at his phone long enough to see 'Tahoma'. He answered and awaited an update.

His voice came over the line rapidly and to the point. "Renata is conscious and well."

Keone's breathed in a long breath of the night air. "Good, that's good." He cleared his throat and went into a random alleyway as he walked along the random city street. "Has she said anything?" Some stray cat hissed at him before darting off.

"No explanation as to why it took so long this time around. She's with Diamond right now."

Keone was picking up that this may not have been a good thing. "Is everything alright?"

Tahoma didn't hide his annoyance. "I told you because I'd rather do this than have you randomly show up. Don't think we haven't sensed you breaching the property to check on her...know that the only reason you haven't been imprisoned is on my say so."

"I appreciate that," Keone drawled, looking around the rank space, brick wall to brick wall.

"This is my last update," Tahoma hissed. "We are not allies, do not forget that. And you will stay away from Renata until Renata seeks you out. She hasn't disclosed what happened between you two, but when she does, you had better hope you do not see my face."

Keone laughed. It was a dark, mocking sound. "You've gotten very comfortable threatening me. Do not forget your place, you or your mother."

The call ended without anything further said from Tahoma.

Angel's voice wasn't far away. "This is becoming a problem, Keone." 

Keone faced Death as though he'd always been there. Well, Death was everywhere always, but that was beside the point. "Have you learned something new?" Something about Angel was off—more so than recently anyway. He was...shaken. 

"She's come to the plane of existence, my realm, more than a handful of times. The issue has always been that I cannot keep her. But...this last time, her occupancy was different. It was as though she herself was a force. I felt her power as she lingered and struggled, and it felt like...mine."

Keone shook his head. He wasn't capable of believing such a thing quite yet. "That's not possible. You're the angel of death. You are Death. There can't be two."

"That's the truth of the world, Keone. There is only one grim reaper. There can only be one grim reaper."

His heart began to pound in his chest. This situation was turning out to be the worst possible scenario. "What will that mean for you both?"

Angel crossed his arms. "Keone, if my power wanes..."

"Hers grows," Keone answered.

Angel nodded. His face had never looked more grim. "I don't know what is to come next, what consequences on this world will proceed. We are in an unknown time."

"Why her of all people?" Keone began to pace. "You took human form a thousand years ago and there hasn't been this kind of disturbance ever." He looked to the sky. It was cloudy, so the view of the twinkling stars was snuffed out."