Chapter 19 (Run Away)

Diamond

Someone opened the front door before she could knock. Tahoma greeted her with a kind smile. She'd met him six or seven times at this point, but she couldn't quite contain her shock as she took him in. Today, he sported a crisp, white button up and washed out blue jeans. The two sections of hair framing his face were braided back. The rest flowed freely. "Hello, Diamond."

She wondered what Renata felt when she looked at Tahoma. Well, you can ask her when you see her. "Hey, where is she?" He made room so she could enter. She gave the interior an appreciative look before refocusing.

"She just showered. I'm pretty sure she's eating in the kitchen with Rocio. Let me show you."

They passed different dark hallways and gold encrusted doorways on glossy, wooden floors. The place was ridiculous. But she didn't doubt if she lived forever she'd spare no expense on her home too.

His stride was steady and calm. She felt like she was speed walking next to him. "How is she?"

"I haven't spoken to her yet. But Rocio texted and said she was fine. I suspect her body's probably stiff and that's about the extent of her discomfort." His voice was deep and smooth. But it did nothing for her—she needed to get to Renata.

Diamond shuddered. "God, I hope so."

Tahoma came to a halt and twisted toward her. Diamond had to back up to face him. His voice was gentle but the message was unyielding. "Diamond, take a breath. I can only imagine how painful these two months have been for you, but Renata needs you to be calm. She's probably still getting her bearings."

Diamond nodded but didn't hold his gaze. She felt like a child being chastised by an adult. Well, she was a baby in comparison to him. Still, the sting of the reprimand marred her skin as much as he was right.

"Better?" Tahoma inquired.

A big breath left her body. She nodded again. And while her nerves still buzzed, she did feel better. "Let's go."

**********

She called out to Renata as she spoke with her cousin.

And when she turned around to reveal her beautiful face, Diamond was overcome with relief and happiness.

She meant to simply hug her, but that did not happen.

Once Renata was a breath away, Diamond connected their lips and held her tight. Realizing what she had done—with an audience—and recognizing that Renata's body seized, she pulled back with wide eyes.

"Oh," was all Renata said. Her face was flushed, tinting her brown cheeks slightly pink. Diamond imagined she came off about the same.

Diamond stepped back and smiled, but the air turned uncomfortable between them. Maybe if she pretended she didn't just kiss Renata, they could all erase those last couple of seconds from their memories. "I'm so glad you're awake. What took you so long?"

Renata appeared unsure of how to proceed. She thankfully went along with Diamond's brilliant plan. "I don't know. I didn't mean to freak you out. I'm sorry."