Chapter 22 (Many Names)

Renata

When their skin threatened to wrinkle, they decided to get out of the water. Tahoma went first. Renata watched with greedy eyes as he hoisted himself out of the water. The droplets clung to his tan skin like mini jewels. Once he was on his feet, he went over to a shelf filled with fluffy towels.

Renata took the opportunity to follow suit. Before she could get far, Tahoma was standing before her, offering a helping hand. She hesitated but took it. Only a moment passed, not enough for her to take on any of her own weight, when he lifted her like she was nothing. She gasped and had to steady herself against him.

He was so warm, not how she expected him to be. She didn't dare to look up and see any kind of expression on his face.

"Here." Tahoma's voice was quiet and tender. Between them appeared a towel. It pressed against her naked skin, and she tried not to get caught up in the sensations she was feeling.

Still, Renata was grateful, because she wasn't feeling brave anymore, and accepted. "Thank you." She covered herself, and was glad for the cover from the cool air.

Tahoma wiped himself off but did not wrap himself in the fabric. She swallowed and tried to keep her gaze respectful. "We can sit if you want." He pointed to a couple of wooden chaise lounges.

He settled into one with his hands resting behind his head. Renata smiled.

Tahoma watched her back. "What?"

While she usually said what was on her mind anyway, it felt like there was an open invitation for honesty between them. She couldn't resist accepting. "You'd think after five hundred years, you'd be a little jaded, but you seem younger than me."

His eyebrows wiggled on his face. "Should I be brooding and silent and boring? Would you be attracted to me then, Renata?"

Renata shook her head. "More like the opposite. I'm trying not to be attracted to you." Her eyes widened once her own words registered. Her frankness often resulted in sticky situations, kind of like this one.

But he caught the comment with ease, and his face transformed with a full-blown smile. It transformed his face, and she wondered if she'd seen anything so gorgeous before. "I should hope it's not an easy task."

She was too nervous to return the expression. "No, it's not."

Tahoma nodded, content with her response, and patted the seat beside him. "Come sit, and tell me how you're doing."

Renata gave in, but only because she was ready to be off her feet. She stared at the beautiful, vibrant ceiling. "We're back to that terrible question, huh? I'd hoped you'd forgotten."

"I have excellent memory...and I care." He was looking at her, but she couldn't look back.

Her heart warmed in spite of her mental resistance. And she chastised her heart for being so weak. "We weren't even together this time..."

"But...?"

Renata felt her throat burn with grief. Her eyes threatened tears, tears she didn't wish to entertain, but tears always have their own agenda. "But it feels like we've broken up all over again. It feels like I failed her." She sniffled. "I failed her."