Chapter 13 (Supernatural World of Madness)

Renata

          Renata studied Rocio in amazement. She hadn't seen her older sister in so long. They'd lost each other once Renata went away to college and Rocio took a job in construction somewhere west. Eventually, through birthday cards and postcards, she learned that Rocio had gone abroad with the same company. 

          Rocio stood there, after five years, dripping with confidence. Her locs—a style Renata had never seen on her before—were pulled back in a loose ponytail. She was thinner, and Renata was surprised to find the high heels on her feet. She'd known Rocio to be someone who despised any kind of lift in their shoes. Now? Rocio embraced a more feminine, gothic style.

          There was something else about her that Renata just couldn't shake. A darkness hid behind her raised brow and haughty smirk—there was pain, a powerful grief Renata did not understand. And if there was one thing Renata would always know about her sister, it was when she was suffering. That may have gone unseen before, but that kind of thing couldn't be hidden in person.

         Renata wanted to drop everything and sit down with her big sister. She wanted to hug her, to demand she reveal everything which took place in between the time she knew Rocio so well and now, when it felt like she was looking at a stranger.

          All the while, Rocio spoke. Revealing too much and not enough in her drawn out sentences. Renata was trying to process Rocio's presence and not obsessing over her big sister having eyes red as blood.

          A response to all the information being dumped on her finally formed. "I can't just leave everything." Renata couldn't just agree to dive headfirst into this supernatural world of madness, even if she couldn't quite tell her left from her right anymore, she knew a foolish course of action when she saw one. "I have bills to pay. I have a job with very strict policies. Trust me, I would know, I've been pushing the limits."

         Rocio shook her head but at least had the decency to express sympathy. "Nirvi is prepared to cover your bills during your stay. You don't have to give it all up. Work will get in the way—as of right now. But if we can get to a place where your safety isn't a concern, we'll happily assist in getting your job back."

          Renata scoffed. "Can you guarantee my job back?"

          Rocio crossed her arms. "Yes, actually."

          Renata looked over at a pale Diamond in disbelief before returning to Roccio. "Is Nirvi the fucking god father or something?"

         Rocio didn't laugh at Renata's reference like she thought she would. Although, there was light amusement. "Kind of. Nobody's fucks with Nirvi. I'll just put it that way."

          "Why are you even entertaining this?" Diamond finally interjected. She'd been pretty silent a majority of the time thus far.

          Renata was confused. "Didn't you tell me—"

        Diamond stepped in between Renata and Rocio, facing Renata. "That was before she clarified that I am not invited to the party. You can't go off with these—these vampires for fuck's sake! They're dangerous. We don't know anything about them. You'll be alone—"

          Renata looked around at Rocio who happily spoke over Diamond. "Actually, she'll have me." Rocio's eyes burned straight through Diamond and seeking Renata. "I know we haven't seen each other in a long while, Nata, but that doesn't erase all the years we grew up together. Did you forget all the times I protected you, defended you?"