Chapter 2 (Sobered Up)

Renata

          "You really need to call the doctor," Diamond said for the fifth time since they awakened. She grunted as she slowly put the barbell down.

          Renata herself was sweating like a pig. Her face was red as she stared ahead in the mirror making sure the bar was straight as she went in for one more squat. She was purposeful in what part of her body she was using when heaving it back onto the rack. She expelled a heavy breath and wiped herself off with a hand towel. "I will. I need to get a checkup anyway."

          "Don't forget your dentist appointment either." Diamond went for another round of barbell rows, with a damn near perfect form.

          Renata drank from her insulated water bottle and stretched out her legs as she rested in between sets. "That's right. Thanks for the reminder."

          "So, it seems like you slept okay at my place?" Diamond managed to get out between not-so-attractive grunts.

          "I guess." Renata rubbed her poor quads before approaching the rack again. "I just can't shake the feeling that something is wrong."

          "You already know what my other guess is."

          "My place is not haunted."

          "Doctor's appointment it is then."

          They both couldn't hold back their laughter as some fellow gym rats in ear shot who didn't have headphones in sent odd looks their way.

**********

          They sat outside the cafe, sipping on organic smoothies and enjoying chicken breast with white rice. Both were still in their sweaty gym clothes. Thankfully, a decent amount of the surrounding people were in similar attire. This place was a bit haughty for either of their tastes but the food was delicious and great for protein.

    Diamond's eyes were snagged by yet another ding from her phone. Her eyes were disinterested though slightly annoyed as she slurped the cold green up the clear straw.

          Renata finished chewing another savory bite of the tender chicken breast. She loved when it had a slightly burnt crust. "Who's the lucky lady?"

          Diamond rolled her eyes. "Lucky guy. And no one."

          "So much for being finished with men."

          "Hey, I am! I made the mistake of rocking this poor soul's world for one night and now he's in love."

          Renata shook her head at the wicked woman. "Can you blame him?"

          There was a mischievous scrunch in her nose as she grinned. "No. It's why I haven't blocked him. He'll be fine. He's sweet. Actually sweet. Men are never sweet."

          "Well, enough with the teasing, who is it?"

          "Jimmy."

          Renata squinted. "Jimmy...?"

          Diamond really was incapable of keeping her eyes from visiting her brain. "Ren, you literally met the guy last night. Natalia just hired him."