Chapter 6: Refusal

The agency door slammed with a loud bang as Bakugou barged out of the main meeting hall. One of the sidekicks followed him out, trying to calm him.

"Bakugou, please understand-"

"I thought this was the #1 hero's agency! It's been a month and no progress! You're all useless!"

"It'll take time to find Midoriya. We hadn't been able to find the league of villains before. It's unreasonable to expect us to find the league just because they have a hostage now."

"It only took 3 days to find them when they had ME! What's different now?!"

"It makes sense they are taking extra precautions after they were found last time. You know, if they didn't kill him on the spot, then he should still be alive," The sidekick tried to give a reassuring pat on the shoulder, but Bakugou pushed him away.

"Shut up, Extra! While you are all taking a shit, what do you think is happening to Deku?!"

"Bakugou," Endeavor entered the hall with a stern look. "You'll never be able to become a true hero if you don't get a hold on your emotions." Unable to argue with Endeavor, Bakugou gripped his fist and clenched his jaw. "Take the day off, Bakugou."

"Screw you-" Sparks flew from his palms, as he glared up at the intimidating hero. "I'll save Deku on my own!" Bakugou burst out of the hallway window and disappeared into the city.

"Should I follow him, sir?" asked the sidekick.

"Don't bother. We need to focus on more important things."

Endeavor re-entered the meeting room. Todoroki looked over from the window. His frustration had been building as much as Bakugou's, but he was also feeling faint of heart. Endeavor had a hard time seeing this, but their relationship was too strained to be able to give any sense of reassurance. All he could do was put all he could manage into finding the league.

"Prepare to go on patrol, Shoto."

"Right." Todoroki followed his father out of the agency. His mind was becoming weak to the idea that Midoriya was lost forever. The thought that it could be too late, numbed him. Losing friends was normal in hero work. Could he have done anything to have stopped Midoriya's kidnapping? Should he have been out like Bakugou, searching on his own? Did he have any power to help? Was it his fault?

Like every other day that past month, the patrol led to many emergencies needing to be handled, but none hinted at Midoriya... until a hero approached Endeavor.

"Endeavor, we believe we've found the league of villains hideout."

Todoroki jumped forward, eyes wide and shouting, "Where is it?!"

Endeavor held back Todoroki, and he calmly explained, "Hold on, Shoto. We can't barge in unprepared."

Todoroki glared up at his father, "I won't let him suffer alone anymore!"

><><><><><

Unchanging paths and alleyways passed by Bakugou's vision as he explored the city for the umpteenth time. He slowed down, knowing they weren't nearby, but he refused to give up.

Should I leave the city? It'd make sense they'd leave the city limits, but there's less camouflage of people the further out you go. Where are you, Deku? ...I was too focused on outdoing Deku and IcyHot... and now that idiot... has been alone with villains for a month now...

In the distance he caught sight of Todoroki and Endeavor rushing away. Not too out of the ordinary until he saw Todoroki's expression: desperation. They found Deku! Explosions trailed behind Bakugou as he accelerated towards the heroes heading to where he assumed Deku was.