Chapter 20: What Will You Choose?

Midoriya snuck through the building, which reminded him of the original factory he was held in at the start of this fiasco. He knew if he was getting out this time, he only had two options. His best option was to sneak out without coming in contact with any of the villains. Easier said than done. His second option was...

"Where do you think you are going?" Midoriya turned around to find Dabi towering over him. "Those brats aren't doing their job properly."

"They were no match for me now that I know how their quirks work. They aren't fighters." Dabi grabbed Midoriya's wrist, pulling him close, but Midoriya yanked himself away. "It took me a while to figure out, since I thought you'd use the same tactics as last time, manipulating my memories. Instead," Midoriya clenched his fist, tears forming in his eyes, "you're manipulating my feelings for you!"

"Your feelings are yours. They are only enhanced." Dabi smiled. "I didn't force you to fall in love with me. Besides, you might as well give in after last night. No need to be shy." Dabi reached out towards Midoriya again, only for his hand to be slapped away.

"Don't touch me!" Midoriya blushed but continued to argue. "We didn't do anything. I don't remember too much, but from what I understand a person's first time hurts. I am perfectly fine." Midoriya backed away. "You never loved me, did you? It was a game. That's why you never went too far. Did it disgust you to have to touch me like that?"

"If that were true, do you think I'd bring you back or stop the others from killing you?" Dabi glared down at the smaller man, his arms tensing. "Let's make something clear, Izuku. I am a villain. There is no redemption for the things I've done, so I can never go back to normal society. Which means, if we're to be together, it has to be like this."

"I-I can't."

"What?"

"You're right, I love you. But I can't stay, no matter how much it hurts to leave!" Midoriya looked Dabi in the eyes. The idea of leaving this man tore him up inside, but he understood he needed to close off his heart. He needed to escape. "So, choose. Will you kill me or let me go?"

"Who says there's not a third option?"

"I promise I'll fight my way out of here, Dabi, even against you. I'll go down fighting if I have to." They stood in silence, staring each other down. "Last time, it seemed like you were willing to kill me. What about now?"

Dabi squeezed his fists. Midoriya was giving him only one option, to fight, but he couldn't move. His body froze at the sight of those big green eyes declaring war against him. Could he attack? Back at the liberation headquarters, he hesitated, leaving room for the heroes to counter, and allowing Midoriya to be taken away. This time he couldn't even raise his hand from his side.

Movement caught Dabi's eye. He looked far behind Midoriya to see the trembling child. Yuya stared at Dabi, scared but determined. The previous night Midoriya couldn't fight against his feelings, his love for Dabi. Now it was Dabi who couldn't fight.

"So, you turned her."

"I wasn't sure if it was fake on your end, but I needed to know so I asked Yuya for her help. Plus, if I was going to have any real chance of getting out of here, I'd need your help." Midoriya took a step closer to Dabi, looking up at the man he admitted to love, "Be honest. Could you kill me now?"

Dabi clenched his jaw. How could he answer Midoriya? He had never known love, but if he were honest, "You know I can't kill you." He was possessive of Midoriya. He looked forward to each night when he could hold him. He worried when he couldn't be there with him. When did it become like this?

A tear dropped to the floor. Midoriya smiled as more tears drenched his cheeks. "Thank god." He rubbed his eyes, trying to stop himself from sobbing. "I was so scared that you didn't care."

"I wish I didn't." Dabi wiped some tears from his lover's face. "This would be so much easier if I could kill you and move on."

"So, what now?"

Dabi took a moment to think, staring into the sea of green that calmed him. There was no way to confine Midoriya any longer, and he would be in danger of the villains killing him once he left. Then, Midoriya would have to move on, and probably find a new love. Dabi's heart wretched. That wouldn't do.

"Couldn't you come with me?" asked Midoriya.

"No... As I said, there's no future for me out there. I still have my goals as well."

"Killing Endeavor won't solve anything, Dabi." Midoriya gripped Dabi's hand. "There's plenty out there to live for. Let's live for each other." Dabi gripped Midoriya's hand back.

"That'd be nice, but you know it's not possible." Dabi let go of Midoriya's hand. "For now, let's get you out of here."

Midoriya's gaze dropped. There was no way they could be together outside the league. Dabi was right. All the families of the people he killed would want retribution for their loved ones. He signaled the twins to follow him before following behind the stoic, dark figure. This would be the last time they could walk side by side.

The last time...