Chapter 8: First Mission

A warm feeling engulfed Midoriya as he melted into the hand stroking his hair. His heart sank in disappointment when Dabi's hand pulled away.

"You three know what to do. I need to go meet a potential recruit. Try to stay out of sight while you're out."

"Right."

Without another word, Dabi exited the bar, leaving Midoriya and the twins behind. This was the first time Midoriya wouldn't be able to see Dabi since he joined the villains. But he'd come back at night or maybe in the morning. It'd be fine. Yuya and Yuta pull on Midoriya's sleeves.

"We need to go too."

"Yeah, we need to check out the location before we go in tonight."

Midoriya nodded with his sweet smile, thinking the twins were so adorable hanging onto him. They led him down the back alleys, twisting through the city and avoiding the main streets. Finally, arriving at the warehouse, Midoriya kneeled down to the twins' level.

"Okay, now that we're here, I want to make something clear to both of you. If anything dangerous happens, don't instigate anything. I'll protect both of you. Got it?"

Yuta and Yuya nodded, inciting Midoriya's smile. He didn't understand how such sweet kids were a part of the league. Judging from their clothes, he gathered they were once in solitary confinement at one of the psych wards. Even that didn't make sense, though. They seemed well adjusted, intelligent, and took direction well.

Most of the villains were up front about their pasts, and what they wanted; all except for Dabi, Shigaraki, and the twins. He knew very little about their motivations. Now wasn't the time to be thinking all this, so Midoriya stood back up to move forward with the mission.

This warehouse contained food and other daily supplies for a popular department store all over the country. If they could find an entry point and wait for the employees to retire for the day, then they could take what they needed without being detected. With their large supply, it'd be at least a few days before they notice the missing materials.

The three hold themselves up on the roof of the facility as they watch all the employees leave for the day. The perfect entrance is a sky light. Midoriya worried about a security system, but if they could get in and out fast, then it should be fine. Hopefully, with the roof being so high, they wouldn't have included it in their security. Using One for All to jump down with the twins, they safely make it in.

"Okay, you two gather snacks and lightweight items. I'll go grab water cases."

As they separated, Midoriya realized his body didn't react to him using his quirk. When he used it against Endeavor's group, he could feel his organs twisting, causing him to cough up blood. He's used his quirk against villains before, so it doesn't have anything to do with attacking people. He had enough control to avoid bodily damage. Was it because he was attacking heroes specifically? The people that make up One for All were heroes. It'd make sense if they were angry with his choice to attack one of their own.

Midoriya stops mid-thought when he sees soba. Todoroki likes this brand, he thought, and prefers it cold. He chuckled, thinking how it fit Todoroki's image, sitting quietly eating his cold soba with short, calm responses when people spoke to him. As cold as Todoroki looked, it contrasted greatly with the warmth filling Midoriya's chest while he thought about eating together again.

Again? Yeah. He ate at Todoroki's house with Bakugou not long ago. Midoriya's mind thumped like a drum in his skull, dropping the package of soba. The tapping of little feet barely registered to him as the twins ran up to him, dropping bags of chips, ramen, and candy along the way. Yuya's little hands gripped the bottom of his hoodie as she looked up at him in concern.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah. My head just hurts."

"All of a sudden?" Yuta looked down at the soba package on the floor, then back at Midoriya.

"Yeah, it's probably just all the dust in here or something like that."

Yuya hugged Midoriya as she spoke, "It'll be okay. As long as we're together, we'll help you get better."

"Yeah. If you focus on us and the mission, maybe you'll forget your headache."

Midoriya smiled. These kids were cute and so sweet. In fact, maybe their concern was enough to help him, he thought, as the drumming in his head began to settle down.

"You're right. You can pick that stuff back up, and I'll grab the water now-"

"What the hell do you think you're doing Deku?"

Midoriya looked up in the direction of the voice. Bakugou glared down at the three from atop a stack of crates. A moment later Todoroki slid down a slide of ice to the floor. The normally stoic expression, replaced with something Midoriya could only call somber.

"Midoriya..."