Chapter 23: Fond Memories

Pink petals floated through the air leading the way to the front gates of U.A. as the new graduates looked back at their school for the last time. Family and friends lined the path cheering for the students. Midoriya looked out into the crowd looking for the smiles of his mother and the children he helped save over the course of his 4 years at university. In the three years since he met them, they grew into young teens causing as much trouble as he and his classmates had.

Yuya had her long hair half up in braids and curls with a bright smile on her face. The braids must have been Eri's work, Midoriya thought. The once timid Eri was jumping up and down trying to get Midoriya's attention, so he waved back with his famous smile. Yuta still hadn't learned to show his true feelings. He crossed his arms over his chest, mimicking Bakugou's usual irritable stance. However, he kept glancing over with a slight blush on his face. Even if he didn't want to show his soft side, it started slipping out as he became more comfortable at U.A. The once purely identical twins no longer sported the same clothes or haircut. Yuta decided to cut his hair short, similar to Todoroki, and had grown several inches taller than Yuya. Even Kota made an appearance. He had grown about as tall at Yuta. He was proudly raising his fist in the air to congratulate Midoriya's class. A couple girls behind Midoriya started giggling when Eri accidentally brushed against Kota's arm, earning a deepening blush from the boy.

Midoriya couldn't believe how long it had been since he met them all. Seeing them grow brought him more pride than being a hero. He imagined how they looked three years back. Within his daydream he also saw a lone dark figure standing behind them. It took a long time to suppress the deadly flames in his memories. To not hear the screams. To not smell burning flesh. To replace that somber smile with one of affection. Dabi could be at peace; at least in Midoriya's daydreams.

Time heals wounds.

"Izuku, you're falling behind."

A large hand slipped into Midoriya's, and interlocked their fingers. Midoriya's face heated up. He hadn't quite gotten used to his boyfriend calling him by his given name even after a year of dating. Midoriya had a large support system while he went to therapy and worked through his foggy memories. Even with two amazing men acting as his pillars of support, he couldn't bring himself to give them a proper answer until his memories from before his kidnapping were straightened out. In fact, it was exactly a year to the day that it finally clicked. The memory of the moment he fell in love, before he ever met Dabi.

Throughout Midoriya's life, he had been bullied and told he wasn't good enough. Not good enough to be a hero, a friend, or even a living human being. He had felt worthless until he was chosen by his idol to be his successor. Even then, though, he carried those feelings around with him. He needed to be stronger. Smarter. Better. He needed to prove his worth. However, his best quality was something he had since birth. It wasn't until several months into their first year did Midoriya receive the words he needed to realize this.

'You are more than your quirk. It's your determination and kindness that moves people. No matter what, no matter how much someone wants you to stay out of their business, you can't leave someone alone until you help them. Because of you, our whole class has something to work towards. ...That includes me.'

After this, Midoriya found his heart racing whenever they made eye contact. His eyes followed him in and out of the classroom. Although they were friends now, Midoriya couldn't help but worry what it would mean if he wanted to be more. Would their friendship dissolve? Would the person who gave him confidence in himself suddenly hate him?

There was nothing holding him back anymore, though. The moment he unlocked that memory, those words, he jumped out of his chair in his therapist's office, and ran all the way back to the dorms, completely unaware he was using his quirk. The doors burst open, shocking his classmates. Midoriya scanned the room as his classmates tried to question his abrupt appearance, but couldn't find the person he needed to see. Without bothering to acknowledge anyone, he ran up to his dorm room. No luck. Where would he be if not here when it was so late? It clicked. He opened the hallway window, and jumped out. Somewhere behind Midoriya he heard Iida yelling out to not jump out windows, but Midoriya was too focused on finally giving them an answer. He didn't care about anything else. As he neared the gym, Midoriya noticed two figures exiting. Bakugou and Kirishima. Kirishima was the first to notice the incoming cinnamon roll.

"Midobro! What are you in a rush for?" asked Kirishima as Bakugou made eye contact with Midoriya. Midoriya skid to a stop in front of the two men.

"What the hell, nerd?!" shouted Bakugou. "You're going to knock people out if you crash into them at that speed!"

"Kacchan," Midoriya looked up into Bakugou's eyes, then hesitantly glanced down at his shoes. Everything went still as the silence built. Taking a deep breath, Midoriya raised green eyes to meet crimson. "I'm sorry Kacchan, but... I'm in love with someone else."

Before Bakugou could respond, Midoriya was off yet again. Bakugou stood still for a moment while Kirishima waited for his reaction. Unlike his usual demeanor, Bakugou stayed silent. He simply started walking back to the dorm with Kirishima in tow. Even from his peripherals, Kirishima could see the light pink at the corner of Bakugou's eyes, the corners of his mouth downturned. Bakugou stuffed his hands deep into his pockets to avoid showing how they were obviously shaking. A glimmer of sunlight reflected off of Bakugou's cheek, shocking Kirishima as he realized his best friend was crying. Kirishima knew it wasn't the right time to ask anything. The best thing he could do was keep him company for the short walk back.

Midoriya knew that was the only way that rejection could go. Bakugou would have never wanted him to stay or console him. He'd want to go off alone to deal with his feelings. All Midoriya could do was be honest to both Bakugou and Todoroki. So, Midoriya kept going. He slowed down as he saw Todoroki walking out of the locker room. Midoriya's heart stopped for a moment, unable to breathe at the sight. He had raced there, but he suddenly realized he didn't know what to say. Mind blank.

Todoroki smiled as he finally noticed Midoriya on the other side of the gym. With each step, Midoriya's heart and mind panicked. He had to come up with something to say before Todoroki reached him. Todoroki's mouth moved as if saying something, but Midoriya couldn't make out the words over his heartbeat pulsating through his ears.

"What's wrong, Midoriya?" asked Todoroki.

Midoriya couldn't think. Couldn't hear. So, he let his body move on its own. He pulled Todoroki's shirt down as he raised up on his tiptoes. A simple, gentle kiss on the lips shocked Todoroki. He didn't dare move. When Midoriya slowly pulled away, he opened his eyes to see how frozen Todoroki looked.

Fiddling with his fingers, Midoriya nervously said, "I'm sorry. Was that not okay?"

"Does this mean you like me?"

Midoriya nodded his head. "I-I love you, Todoroki," stuttered Midoriya. He was barely able to get the words out before he felt the dual quirk user's embrace. He happily returned the hug. Neither said a thing for what seemed like several minutes, until Midoriya's anxiety got to him. "T-Todoroki? Are you going to say anything?"

"Oh-" Todoroki pulled away, thinking about what he should say in return, but he had never been good with words. Instead, he gently stroked Midoriya's cheek before leaning in close. Midoriya's face flushed so hard it was hard to make out his freckles.

"I love you too."

Pink petals floated through the air leading the way to the front gates of U.A. as the new graduate, Midoriya, thought back on his fond memories. Amongst the cheers of those celebrating their graduation, only Todoroki could hear Midoriya giggling to himself. That sweet voice warmed his heart. He could listen to it for the rest of his life. Intertwining their hands, Todoroki let Midoriya know that the rest of their class were already going ahead. Earning that famous Midoriya smile, Todoroki squeezed his hand. He couldn't believe his luck. Midoriya was the reason he could look past his hatred and thoughts of revenge on his father. He was the one who made him feel free to do whatever and be whoever he wanted. That alone should have been enough, but somehow he got so much more. Midoriya would be his new reason in life. Something to live for other than revenge.

"Izuku, I love you."

"I love you too, Shoto."